PDA

View Full Version : changed.. taken in the wrong text.

StirCrazy
02-08-2003, 11:40 PM

StirCrazy
02-08-2003, 11:57 PM
it was pointed out to me that this thread might cause people to blame others for there misfortune, that is not the idea, and it must be also stated that as a tank owner you are responcibe to ask for your self, and if you don't want to ask, then assume all frage have them and treat acordingly. remember as it was just mentioned to me, you are ultimatly responcible for what you put in your reef not anyone else.

Steve

Aquattro
02-09-2003, 12:35 AM
Steve, is this about the flatworm thing we talked about the other day? If so, thanks for saying something.
If you sell frags and have flatworms, ever had flatworms in your tank or ever slept with anyone that had flatworms, it is your responsibility to tell people buying your frags, whether they ask or not.
Not saying something is being decietful.

Ultimately someone buying frags IS responsible for what goes in their tank, but the seller is also responsible for disclosure.

Most people that have them, got them from someone who "forgot" to mention it.

*please substitute your favorite communicable reef parisite for flatworms and apply accordingly. :D

zulu_principle
02-09-2003, 12:46 AM
I agree with you guys.

But flatworms are not difficult to deal with and if you dip or in the ultimate quarantine all species you can certainly find out if any parasites exist.

An epsom salt bath is far less stressful, then a fresh water dip, on corals and is something that I do if a person gives me a frag that I have not traded with in the past or just want to test the frag.

Wendell

Aquattro
02-09-2003, 12:55 AM
But flatworms are not difficult to deal with ...

Wendell

Wendell, this is only true BEFORE putting the frag in your tank. I trade often with people with flatworms and have no problem cleaning up before tanking them.
That being said, many new people to the hobby just trust that everything is OK with their new frag. I can't count how many things I put in my tank before I ever heard of flatworms. Not knowing they existed made it tough for me to ask.
I saw a post on RC the other day from someone asking what these little red things were....some people don't know!!

I just think it is at least polite to tell people of the potential of transmitting this type of thing during trades.

smokinreefer
02-09-2003, 03:52 AM
uh oh...
did someone get flatworms from me???
i just went through my posts in the thread for the last meeting and i never mentioned i had flatworms. if this is the case, i am extremely sorry and if you want to blame me, it is your right. i usually do say i have flatworms when i offer frags (i checked my previous frag thread.)...and by no means did i mean to decieve anyone if this is indeed the case.
heh, if you'd like a background check, ask any of the guys here who know me personally and they will tell you i am a good guy (i hope).
FWIW i mustve got them from somewhere as well...but i have never really thought about where they may have come from. i guess i just accept the fact that it is my decision to put any coral or rock (and whatever may be hitchhiking with it) in my tank no questions asked.
anyhow, whether this thread was directed at me or not...i feel bad and will either try to drill it in my head to mention that i have flatworms or not offer frags at all.

sincerely,
shao

StirCrazy
02-09-2003, 03:55 AM
uh oh...

sincerely,
shao

No, this is why I nuked it.. no one that I know of got flat worms.. the point of the post was from a descussion from me and Brad talking about how no one mentioned/asked about them at all. and that some people think they are bad like a dirty little secreat but in reality if you know about them they are easy to take care of..

Steve

zulu_principle
02-09-2003, 04:09 AM
Steve

I did mention them and had this available to those who needed further info on questions to ask about fragging....

Some words of wisdoms on Frag’s

1. Always ask, “What is it ?” (Even if you think you know.)

2. Ask for a ranking on “Ease of Care”

3. What was the system parameters the species came from ?
• Salinity, Ph, Temp
• Lighting
• Water Circulation
• Coral Location

4. Any pests in the system it came from ?
• Planarians (Flatworms)
• Aiptasia

5. Will it work in my system ?

Lastly, there are no guarantees that the frags you trade or purchase will survive. BUT experience has shown that aquacultured frags will survive a captive environment far more successfully then wild harvested species.

And you are helping to save the world’s reefs.

Wendell

Aquattro
02-09-2003, 04:47 AM
uh oh...

Shao, I don't think so, but the point, I believe, is that there is very little talk about flatworms when trading. Not at any particular time, but in general.
Steve and I were discussing this over lunch the other day and realized how many people never mention having flatworms. Granted, even if you get them, they're at most an eye sore, but should be mentioned more than they are.
In no way did Steve aim to put blame on anyone for any reason, but it is a topic new people need to be aware of. You and I and Steve all know about this type of thing, but a lot of new people don't.
FWIW, the frag I got from you is doing great and I didn't catch anything from it :D
I realize this can be a sensitive issue, but as I recall, one of the first posts on Canreef was from someone who got flatworms by buying frags from a fellow canreef member. This is so easy to avoid by just mentioning the fact that flatworms are a possibility.
And yes, I'll vouch for you that you're a great guy :wink:

smokinreefer
02-09-2003, 04:57 AM
thats a relief.
i was feeling pretty bad after a long day already.

well i agree with you guys. and i also agree with wendell, as i do remember him giving out that good info before people were trading.

i think it isnt talked about alot because, first off, alot of people don't know about them...i know from my experience i never knew about them until i had them, and if you have them in moderation like i do, you become desensitized to them. and never really think about them or even notice them when i look at my tank or have my hands in it.

oh yeah, thanks for the kind words brad. your a swell guy too!

Aquattro
02-09-2003, 05:00 AM
Shao, FWIW, when looking in your tank, I don't notice them either. Way too many other cool things to see. :D

robbyville
02-11-2003, 04:08 AM
Hello folks,

Thanks for the info. I have been into the "Lifestyle" for 8 short months and have not heard of Flatworms until the other day when I was looking for a home for a coral that was getting large and planning to frag. I asked Allan from J&L if he wanted it and he let me know that he was pretty careful about taking items from other people due to flatworms (Way to go Alan, I told you no offense taken).

Can someone let me know what these look like, what the problem with having them is, and of course how to get rid of them if I have them?

Thanks!

Rob

Aquattro
02-11-2003, 04:33 AM
Rob, if you do a search on Reefcentral, you can find pictures. The only problem with them is if they get to plague proportions, the can be ugly. They don't actually hurt anything. I've seen lots of nice tanks that have them and you hardly notice.
If you get them, you're pretty much stuck with them. Some claim that various small wrasses eat them, others try dosing chemicals with sometimes disasterous results. Sometimes they just go away.

zulu_principle
02-11-2003, 05:28 AM
New product that may help....

Flatworm Exit.

Left a message at J&L to see if they will have it coming in soon.

Wendell

robbyville
02-11-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys!