PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Sand for 5" DSB in Edmonton

TRS
02-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Hello all...

Just found out about the Canreef.com bulletin board. It looks awesome.

I am in the process of getting ready to fire up my 230 Gallon Saltwater tank this spring, but am in need of your help. The tank will contain LR, LS, few reef safe fish and many invertebrates.

First of all, I am looking for your suggestions on substrate material. I have been reviewing the Carib Sea products which appear okay. Do you recommend various textures or just fine sand?

Secondly, Where can I get the best substrate prices in Edmonton? I plan to be in the city in a week or so.

Later on, I may ask if any of you would part with some sand to seed my DSB. I want a large and diverse population of inverts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

CHEAPREEF
02-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Here are some artices on sustate choices. http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/may/features/2/default.asp
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/june/features/1/default.asp
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/oct/features/2/default.asp
And use this to find out how much you need. http://reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php The sugar fine sand is what i would recommend, i bought mine from Jayson at Salt water connection.

Clinton

Canadian Man
02-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Although I am in Calgary it's a quick drive anyway.

I am ordering a pallet of sand from Jason at SWC and the bags will be $25. each.

Let me know if you want any.

It will take I figure 15 bags or so to do a sand bed.
That's what i figured out for my 230 which is on the way .
cheers

TRS
02-08-2003, 10:23 PM
I read a few of Dr. Ron Shemiks articles several years ago...can't remember where...maybe FAMA. Around that time, Morgan Lidster of Inland Aquatics (article entitled Guide to Successful Live Sand Substrates) provided a recipe for DSB. Anyways, this was the recipe that I had intended to follow, but was curious if the ideaology had changed since then. The article calls for at least 1 Pound of Aragonite substrate per gallon and consists of the following:

15% Live Oolitic Aragonite Sand;
45% Dry Oolitic Aragonite Sand;
25% CaribSea Reef Sand; and
15% CaribSea Aruba Shell.

IMHO, the idea of various textures within a DSB seems great for several reasons. It would not become compacted, would be less erosion prone and would provide a variety of pore space for bacteria and an array of infaunal populations.

Has this worked for anyone here?

All comments and/or suggestions welcome.

Bob I
02-08-2003, 11:26 PM
There have been threads on a number of alternate methods of building a DSB, such as Silica Sand, Glass beads, Pool Filter Sand to name a few. All these things have been used with great success. It might be a good idea to do a search in the archives on this very subject. You might be able to save a substantial amount of money, by adopting an alternate method. :D

Dez
02-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Hey,

Where in the city will you be located? Welcome to the board.

Des

TRS
02-09-2003, 04:03 AM
I know that planning the DSB is a very important step for a successful reef as it forms the basis of biological filtration. That is why I want to get it right the first time, but I also do not want to spend a fortune in the process.

Thanks for the warm welcome and to all for your input thus far. It seems like I better research this to its death once again. Read, read and read some more about it until a guy is blue in the face and overwhelmed at the many different answers.

EmilyB
02-09-2003, 04:14 AM
I certainly wouldn't be caught up in the DSB issue...perhaps you should tour some tanks of fellow reefers in your area.

You can then experience different opinions, techniques, etc. first hand.

TRS
02-09-2003, 07:39 PM
EmilyB,

I have seen several tanks with DSB, but just curious to see what is working best for fellow reefers. You are probably right....when it comes to the DSB, I should just jump in with both feet. I am always cautious.