PDA

View Full Version : PO4 test kits

Edmonton Eskimo
01-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Is there an accurate test kit for phosphate? I have a seachem and it's brutal!

trilinearmipmap
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I have the expensive phosphate test kit from J & L, I think it is called Merck D & D, it cost about 70 bucks.

I found other PO4 test kits were unreliable.

I rarely need to test phosphate, I find you need to test it once to see if you have a phosphate issue or not. Kind of expensive to buy a $70.00 test kit that you will use once only.

If anyone needs their phosphate tested they can send me a sample as long as they are willing to add to my collection of macroalgae by sending me some macroalgae along with their water sample.

calkrog
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
i found testing for phosphates is pretty much irrelevant, as much of the phosphates are bound in your rocks and not in the water. if you have algae you have too much and you need to run a reactor, if you dont have algae you dont need to worry. IMO.

Matt
01-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I have never had a positive result for phosphates with the tests I've done, but I know if I start adsorbing it, my algae starts to brown and recede, so it must be there. Apparently most of the test kits only test for orthophosphates (saying that just like I know what it means), so they aren't very good at determining actual levels.

The Hanna Colorimeter (http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/723/Hanna-Phosphate-Colorimeter/) is said to be an excellent way to test, but it is an expensive thing for a low-level hobbiest like me to afford. If we had a proper "reef club" locally, maybe it would be the kind of thing to have as a lendable resource.

I've stopped testing for phosphates. I'm concentrating on getting rid of it instead.

Cheers,
Matt
<edit>
Re-reading Randy Holmes-Farley's "Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium" (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php), recommended to everyone interested in the phosphate discussions that have recently sprung up all over the board. Stick with it to the end!