PDA

View Full Version : 20G Reef Build

SeaSerpant
01-09-2008, 01:03 AM
I know you all will think i'm crazy to start my build a few months before i actually build it but i want to have everything down pat before i do so i don't totally destroy my tank when i do.:biggrin:

Ok here are my plans

20g Aquarium-45.99$
AquaClear 50 Filter-59.99$
Rio Nano Skimmer-49.99$
Visitherm heater 75watt-44.99$
Koralia Pump-49.99$
Salt for a 50g-26.59
Arogonite sand?
Live Rock-Fencer
Lighting?

Fish

2 clowns
RedFire Fish
Longnosed Hawkfish
Magenta Dottyback
Lawnmower Blenny
CUC

Coral

Zoas?
Dusters?
what else?

I don't know are the things with ? obviously.:Fade-col:
Any sugestions?

04scoobysti
01-09-2008, 02:40 AM
I Have a 20g Reef as well, and there are many lighting options for a 24" tank.
Now is the time to decide what kind of livestock you want to be keeping in the future as this will affect your lighting choice.
You should have a look at some T5HO fixtures as well as some, MH/T5HO all in one units.
With those you will be able to keep pretty much anything you want.
With Metal Halide you will have to keep a close eye on your water temperature.

With the other items you listed, id ditch the Aquaclear (not needed, some people use a larger Aquaclear as a fuge) and the Rio Nano
and go with an AquaC Remora or Remora Nano, Much better skimmer!

And as far as livestock goes, take it slow with the fish to see how your tank responds to the increasing bioload.
Like i said before your lighting will affect your coral choices so you'll have to make that decision first.

Good luck!
It will be very rewarding and i think its great that you taking a couple months to prepare!!

SeaSerpant
01-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Ok i have wanted to know if i should buy a very powerful light so i can have any kind of coral i want(in a matter of speaking)? Ok so i need to know if these fish will do well with each other? I have heard if you have an anemone any coral it touches it will die, is this true? From my list above is there anything missing?

SeaSerpant
01-10-2008, 12:54 AM
I notice that metal halide light would emit A LOT of heat. I might just use my brothers 400w one till i buy another light. What i might do is see how heat the light emits and how hot it makes the water and if it heats it to an appropriate heat i will use the heater at night and the light during the day. Would that work?

04scoobysti
01-10-2008, 01:04 AM
400w is definitly overkill, you would just be able to keep the most light demanding corals in the upper portion of the tank and try to shade others down lower. 400w halide will definitly throw off alot more heat than a 250w, but your definitly going to need a heater either way, to help keep your temp consistant.
a 150w or 250w halide will be more than enough light for a 20g.

As for your livestock and equipment list, i don't see any problems (just might be a little heavily stocked, so get a good skimmer) And make sure you pickup some good test kits (calcium, alk, nitrate, pH, etc.)

SeaSerpant
01-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Lol i was waiting for you to reply. I was wondering, is there anything wrong with the kind of filter and skimmer i chose or are they poor quality?

Myka
01-20-2008, 05:37 AM
20g Aquarium-45.99$
AquaClear 50 Filter-59.99$
Rio Nano Skimmer-49.99$
Visitherm heater 75watt-44.99$
Koralia Pump-49.99$
Salt for a 50g-26.59
Arogonite sand?
Live Rock-Fencer
Lighting?

Those are high prices...where are they from?

Skimmerking
01-20-2008, 01:04 PM
What you can do is, buy a refugium hang on, don't buy a skimmer, and do 5 gal water changes every week. This is the easiest was yto support your tank with the natural trace elements. And your corals will thrive. there is a thread about this guy that have a SPS 20 gal nano and thatis whathe does and the corals are huge in his tank.... and lots of colors too with growth up the wha zoo.

Second. when doing a smaller tank, think what is the easiest way to run it. like a topp off system. more more auto matic it is the less chance that the water parameters are going to go out of whack. Since in a smaller tank things happen alot more faster then in a bigger tank. lots of swings. There is noting wrong with a 400 w light over the tank , you just need to make freakin sure that you have a way of moving the heat away from the water. I have seen a Guy on RC that has a 20 gal with a 400W over his nano, he had a piece of glass over his tank starife to allow for the heat to blow over the glass in stead of heating his tank. This allowed the air to blow over and not be humid in the hood. He had a fan sucking in and out.

For the skimmer if you do decide to go with a skimmer get a good one. A Remora pro will keep the tank clean. You can always have the tank drilled for a closed loop and get rid of the power heads. then you havea 10 gal or a 5 gal for a sump the heaters and Skimmer in there along with a float switch. and your of to the races.

Man you have me wanting to go to a smaller tank.:lol:

HTH

SeaSerpant
01-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Well i junked the 20g and got a 60g. you can see my build here. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38703