PDA

View Full Version : My 75 build

Edmonton Eskimo
01-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I have a 75 that I bought last year on boxing day and it has been sitting in my garage awaiting it's destiny. Well destiny is upon us! I think I'm close to having everything I need to get going. Well, kind of. I have yet to build a stand but I do have the material needed and will get started this weekend. Fortunately I am a cabinet maker so this part will be the easiest. The stand will be done with maple stained saddlebrown. It will have a matching canopy to complete the look. I have a 29gal? sump that was previously lando's so all the plumbing that came with it should work on mine as the dimensions are pretty much the same. I have an aquamedic skimmer, TLF phosban reactor(dual),mag7 return pump and a cpr overflow to incorporate into the system. My first question is whether I want to use the cpr overflow for this tank. The tank is empty and would be easy to drill so I'm leaning towards this. I could use the cpr on my existing reef so it wouldn't go to waste. Any thoughts on the overflow would be appreciated. The lighting for this tank is 2 400 watt xm 20k supplemented by two 48" NO actinic bulbs(mostly for dusk and dawn as the 20k's should be blue enough). The flow will be provided with the return from the sump and I have a mak 4 that I can use for a closed loop which I'm leaning towards drilling the tank for as well. Will I need more flow? Probably, but from what source? I have a korallia 4 that I hope will be enough. I have a clean slate with this tank and can do all the things I didn't do on my last tank;) Any help or opinions greatly appreciated. Oh, and I'll start getting some pics once I start building the stand.

michika
01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Yay!

I say drill the tank, and skip the CPR overflow. Do you know what kind of closed loop you want to do? Are you going to move everything into the 75g when the build is finished?

Edmonton Eskimo
01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I haven't decided if I want to go with a manifold or use my scwd or what with the closed loop. I am moving most of the sps and some of the softies that like the higher flow into the 75. I am finding some of my corals aren't liking the high flow that the sps does.

michika
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Sounds cool. Did you order bulbs for your MHs yet?

Edmonton Eskimo
01-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I've got those bulbs that I got from you so I don't think I'll need any right away.

michika
01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
I actually wanted to ask about the actinic bulbs, but I guess I typed MH. Oops!

mark
01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Drill the tank for the overflow and return and look into Herbies, they are truly silent.

I like CL rather than PHs in the display but you're talking another pump and depending on size, noise could be an issue. Lots of pictures of CL layouts on OM site (http://www.oceansmotions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=67c6a9620309ddad167295356acbffbd)though. Having all flow based on a single return a little more complicated to get random (look into Calfo manifold (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/short.htm) to help) and also more water going through your sump.

2X400W wow that's a lot of light (and heat and power), how deep you running?

Edmonton Eskimo
01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, I've got one and need to get another. I ordered two but there was a mistake somewhere.

Edmonton Eskimo
01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
I know 400 is a little much but the price was right so I think I'll raise them a little higher than normal. The tank is 22 deep I think. The tank will be in the basement and all the equipment will be in a separate room behind the tank so noise shouldn't be an issue. As far as the halides are concerned I think some extra fans should do the trick.

michika
01-09-2008, 02:44 AM
400w don't really put off that much heat. It is completely manageable with fans. Once you go to 400s its hard to go back.

Edmonton Eskimo
05-04-2008, 04:01 AM
I have some progress to report!! I am working on the doors for the stand. The tank has actually made itself from the garage to the basement!!!! I know, I know I could hardly contain myself too. I am looking for someone to drill holes for me but I'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy my own hole saw and do it myself:( I will post some pics soon.

Edmonton Eskimo
07-26-2008, 08:40 AM
And on the nine hundredth and forty forth day he said let there be life!! I have lots of work to do yet but the stand is done(other than a couple stain touchups I see!) and I'm quite happy with it.

michika
07-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Yay!