PDA

View Full Version : nutrients, how to tell if to much?

mark
01-08-2008, 04:12 AM
Having a problem with hydroids and all I find to battle them (other than the not really practical propane torch method) is nutrient control. Question is though do I even have to much nutrient to begin with? What are the indicators?

I have a little Valonia and about enough hair algae to cover my thumb nail which I don't think is much for a 145g. Fish load is a Purple and Regal Tang, Foxface, Sixline, two Damsels and a Clown. I feed daily maybe 3x5" piece of Nori, 1/2 Tsp of flake and every once and a while some Mysis. Skimmer seems like its working (G3 with recir mod), run filter socks and have a 20g refugium with Chaeto. Don't know my phosphates (will be getting test shortly) and NO3 zero or near zero (Salifert). Using ro/di water and IO salt mix.

Myka
01-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Your feeding schedule sounds a bit much. Especially the flake. Flakes is notorious for causing trouble as it never ALL gets eaten. What do you have for shrimp, crabs and such to clean up uneaten food?

mark
01-08-2008, 05:20 AM
Measured out the flake on this evening's feeding and probably closer to 1/4 tsp.

Up until a little while ago had a cleaner and peppermint shrimp and a couple of Emerald crabs I never see. Lost the shrimp with the Interceptor and not much hope for the crabs if still even around.

Tank I'm running BB with ~4600gph flow and ~1000gph of that through the drains so think the filter socks, skimmer, the sump itself and refugium should catch a lot that the fish miss.

Myka
01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
How often do you wash your filter sock? What method do you use?

marie
01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
There is a problem with trying to starve out hydroids if you can manage it, you run the risk of starving your corals and fish as well.