PDA

View Full Version : Just got a little 3 gallon tank...

spencerC
01-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I got a little 3 gallon tall-ish tank to set up on my nightstand :biggrin:

I was wanting to put a freshwater fish in it,
but i dont know if that's too small for any freshwater fish?
I've never had one before, but I'm knowledgable with marine set-ups so i'm thinking it shouldn't be too difficult.

Is there a species you would recommend that wouldn't get too big and would be okay in a small set up?

Thanks!

dsaundry
01-08-2008, 12:38 AM
YOU COULD PUT YOUR STANDARD BETTA'S IN IT NO PROBLEM..WHITE CLOUDS ARE OK TOO..GUPPIES ..BETTA IS THE BEST BET..NICE COLOURS FOR FRESHIES..AND SOME EVEN HAVE A LITTLE PERSONALITY. MAKE SURE ITS GOT A COVER CUZ THEY JUMP AS WELL.:biggrin:

spencerC
01-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Well i really didn't want to do a betta...
I've had so many. Boring.
i think i rather meant Tropical freshwater fish.
Like... an Angel? Or is that too big?

Moogled
01-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Tetras?

rayfong
01-08-2008, 04:52 AM
You could put in killiefish, guppies, endlers livebearers, cherry shrimp.

dsaundry
01-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Angels get too big, if you dont like bettas, you could also try a few tetra's, aquatic miniature frogs?? plants..etc snails

Der_Iron_Chef
01-08-2008, 06:23 AM
I think Bettas get a bad rep. They're only boring because they're kept in tiny little cups and then expected to be exciting!! Hah. Silly, if you ask me.

My roommie has a betta in a 10G tank and it's SUPER active. Lots of personality.

rayfong
01-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I think Bettas get a bad rep. They're only boring because they're kept in tiny little cups and then expected to be exciting!! Hah. Silly, if you ask me.

My roommie has a betta in a 10G tank and it's SUPER active. Lots of personality.

I agree, I have one betta and he's in a 37 gallon tall with some rainbowfish, corydas, cherry barbs and rasboras. probably one of my favorite fish in that tank.

Keri
01-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Do you have a heater? I'd suggest getting a little one or there isn't much that you'll be able to put in there...whiteclouds would work in an unheated tank, you could have a couple (they like to school) ...and yeah, given more room Bettas are way more interesting (but also should really be heated) I think Hydor makes a little nano heater. If you have a light you should do some live plants as well :)

banditpowdercoat
01-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Ya, got a Betta in a 2.5g and hes active. I want to put him in the 30g with my angel and tetras, but wife wont let me ofr some reason??

Anyways, neon tetras would be great in a 2.5g Could put 5-6 in there. Is there a filter on the tank? heater? tetras are schooling fish, need others. And dint grow that big, easy to keep and add alot of color when swimming in a school. I presently have 15 Neons in the 30g, Want another 10

rudy
01-08-2008, 01:33 PM
If you have a heater and a filter go with a couple of Pea puffers.

Keri
01-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Ya, got a Betta in a 2.5g and hes active. I want to put him in the 30g with my angel and tetras, but wife wont let me ofr some reason??

Anyways, neon tetras would be great in a 2.5g Could put 5-6 in there. Is there a filter on the tank? heater? tetras are schooling fish, need others. And dint grow that big, easy to keep and add alot of color when swimming in a school. I presently have 15 Neons in the 30g, Want another 10

I'd be a little careful with the betta and the angel, your betta might go after his fins or vice versa, depending on how agressive your angel is.

as usual, your wife is right ;) :razz:

SeaSerpant
01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Ok i have found a small school of cardinal tetra's always look nice.:biggrin:

FitoPharmer
04-16-2008, 03:36 PM
betas also seem boring in bowls because enven tho they will live and survive at lower temps they would prefer 80ish temps.

ElGuappo
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
If you have a heater and a filter go with a couple of Pea puffers.

i agree with this.

WhoPoopWrasse
07-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I have a betta in the same tank (heated 3g Tall) and he's very happy, he's been in there for almost a year now but before that he was in a 50g with many other fish and before that he was in a 5g with a few neons. He's been around for a while now :razz: We've had him for 3 years this january. He fights with his reflection alot but I think it's to pass the time :mrgreen:
I also agree about the little puffers, they are very cute! Perfect for a litthe tank.