PDA

View Full Version : Good sites for clownfish IDs?

BCOrchidGuy
02-08-2003, 03:57 AM
I got a pair of what I (and the guy at the aquarium store) believe to be clarkii clowns today, the previous owner says he got them at big als and they are sebae but my understanding is sebae are rare in the aquarium trade. They are mature fish, had been kept in the same aquarium in a family type arrangement but the person who got rid of them got a spawning pair so he got rid of the other ones. I assume that these will both be males but one is reasonably larger than the other so I hope it will become the female. There is a tiny bit of aggression between them but it is obvious the big one is the dominant one. I am looking for an ID site that can clarify the differences between the clarkii and sebae, and also the differences between a tomato and a cinnamon clown as I have 3 tomato clowns on order but the LFS has a number of adults. Do tomato clowns get or have the blue/white stripe or is that only in the cinnamons?

EmilyB
02-08-2003, 04:42 AM
With regards to the sebae check out this thread (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sebae+clown+vs+clarkii+clown&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&scoring=d&selm=AtcK8.162202%24ah_.58040%40news01.bloor.is.ne t.cable.rogers.com&rnum=1)

BCOrchidGuy
02-08-2003, 04:51 AM
Thanks Emily, going by that I may actually have sebaes, two stripes, yellow tails...

BCOrchidGuy
02-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Silly me, I should check fish in better light, they both have 3 white stripes so I guess they are clarkii.... if their spawning behavior is anything like cichlids it looks like they are pairing up.