PDA

View Full Version : Darn horn corals

Doug
01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I purchased this horn from a friends tank and its already loosing tissue from the bottom up. I have tried several pieces over the years and always the same results :question:

I did have a piece back in 01/ in my 170 cube that did well. Nothing since. Every other coral in my tank is fine, including others from the same tank as the horn.

PzReefer
01-06-2008, 11:34 PM
I have a large green horn colony that was at BigAl's Coquitlam for 4 weeks(aug/sept). I purchased it due to its size about 10" ovoid base x about 4 " high. a large mound mostly smooth with two small buds. Remarkably after 4 weeks at BA I was surprised at its condition and colour so i made space in tank to accomadate the large piece.And I lucked out its a beauty piece.I have had it 4 months now and always impressed by its polyp extension and colour. But dec 27 i spotted trouble with and internal colony polyp and by today has RTN to the edge of the piece, about 15 polyps died in all, leaving an ugly scar on piece but oh well, **** happens. Funny that the rest of colony is fine though.
Is horn LPS or SPS i think it an LPS but not sure.

before
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2231&stc=1&d=1199665802
IMG_1144.jpg
after
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2230&stc=1&d=1199665773
reef 103.jpg

Al

Doug
01-10-2008, 10:44 PM
83 views & no posts. Does that mean this type of encrusting hydro is not kept much? No others with similar problems with it or success? My branching type is doing fine, in comparison with this type.

Delphinus
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I've kept both the encrusting and branching, but, I found that they would sort of choose whether they were encrusting or branching. I lost my last piece in the start of the fall of my SPS a couple years ago. I didn't really notice any sensitivity issues with it up to that point. In fact, it was generally an easygoing fast grower - to the point where it was a bit of a problem, in fact, due to how aggressive it is - I lost a lot of other corals to its little "digest my neighbours" trick. Actually, it was so aggressive, and fast growing, that I sort of resolved not to get anymore. As pretty as it is (at least you can sure get some unreal glowing green types), it's just a little too aggressive for my liking. Although I suppose in a larger tank where you can have a buffer zone around it maybe it would be OK.

So .. I'm not sure why the encrusting one in your tank would be more sensitive like that.. maybe you've just gotten some fussy ones?

Sorry, guess I'm not much help here.... :lol:

Tom R
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
I do not have an encrusting Horn, I have a branching Horm and it is usually the stinger not the stingy.

Tom R

untamed
01-11-2008, 01:00 AM
83 views & no posts. Does that mean this type of encrusting hydro is not kept much? No others with similar problems with it or success? My branching type is doing fine, in comparison with this type.

I wasn't sure that any question was asked...

I've kept a branching horn coral for many 5+ years now. I've not found it to be particularly sensitive. I can attest to it's aggressive defences, though.

I had one outbreak of RTN that I caused by introducing a stag frag that was already dieing. As soon as I saw the horn coral beginning to show sign of RTN, it was completely fragged/dipped and transferred to the new tank in about 5 pieces. Since then all the pieces are doing fine.

Skimmerking
01-11-2008, 02:51 AM
I know that Doug has a crap ot of hard to easy SPs's in his tank. he does regular water changes and keeps his levels at par and I havent evr heard him say anything bad about his levels. I 'm lost thou Doug, after hearing that you lost my old Tri color that i got from gools about 12 months ago. you think that might be the reason the you lost the ti color from may be a toxic something that the horn coral release's.