PDA

View Full Version : Distilled vs RO

mikeyd
01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Just wondering what the difference between Distilled water and Reverse Osmosis is.

Is one better than the other?

I live in an apt so setting up an RO unit may not be possible, however my mother has a Distiller(stand alone unit not an on tap or brita) at her place. so I have free access to all the distilled water I'd need.

Any suggestions?

banditpowdercoat
01-06-2008, 04:11 PM
What kind of "distiller" doers she have? Distilling usually means Boiling the water, then collecting and condensating the steam. Distiller takes up room. Now, a RO unit is usually very compact. I have a 4 stage Kent RO/DI unit and I hang it off a nail in the entry room when not in use. When I use it, I set the unit in the kitchen sink. Its pretty small, and no need for permanent instalation.

Oh, and distilled water doesnt allways remove all the minerals and such

mark
01-06-2008, 04:21 PM
How's the distiller made (copper tubing?) and who's paying the power bill?

fiorano
01-07-2008, 12:37 AM
sorry to kind of thread jack but I only have one of those tap water purifier de-ionization filter things. and i was just wondering if that was good enough by itself. and i also have an ro unit but its nit ro/di so would that be better than the purifier thing?

Brent F
01-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Distillers don?t do a good job with volatile chemicals with a low boiling point. Chloramines, for example, which many cities now use instead of chlorine as a disinfectant, aren't removed well by distillers. Reverse osmosis, with the carbon filters that accompany it, does a very good job with chloramines.

sorry to kind of thread jack but I only have one of those tap water purifier de-ionization filter things. and i was just wondering if that was good enough by itself. and i also have an ro unit but its nit ro/di so would that be better than the purifier thing?
Tab water with deionization is better than tap water but not as good as R.O. with deionization

You can put your R.O. water through your ionizaton unit.
________
XVS650 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XVS650)

fiorano
01-07-2008, 04:36 AM
ok ill; try that thanks :)