PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of pests?

dsaundry
01-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi. I am trying to find a good web site for reef pests. I am not sure if it is a pest or not as I only got a quick look at it. Brief description. I believe it is a worm. It looked like a regular worm with a rings around it. Is it a Bristle worm? I looked at some pictures on the web and it doesnt really look like one, but I am assuming there are many varieties. Any suggestions??:question:

dsaundry
01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I have looked at several images I found and I have come to the conclusion it is a Bristle worm. Now the next question. Are they bad. Several different opinions on the web. If they are bad what do you catch or control them with..Arrow crab?? Neon dottyback?? Suggestions???:smile:

Black Phantom
01-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Like you said. There are plenty of different opinions on the web. I've had them in my tank for years and never seen a problem.

marie
01-06-2008, 02:49 PM
There are different kinds of bristle worms so it is hard to tell you for sure if it is a good one or bad one. 90% of the bristle worms we find in our tanks are harmless though and good to have because they are detrivores

Here are a couple of links to help identify hitchhikers
http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/

CLINT
01-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Depending on the size they can become problems.A friend had 1 that was about 8 inches and had fish and small ricordeas go missing he finally tore the tank apart to get it and 1 almost as big out.Most people Ive asked say there fine when there samll but can become a problem when there big.Clint

untamed
01-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I got many with my original shipment of LR many years ago. I observed that SOME of them ate SPS corals. It was easy to see them doing it because they need to latch onto the coral and rasp away at it for days at a time. Whenever I saw one doing that, I just removed it with tweezers.

The remaining bristle worms were harmless detrivores. Most everyone has more of these than they probably think.

fishoholic
01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
The only bad thing I know about them is if you accidentally touch them it will feel like hundreds of needles going into your hand, the pain lasts for days, and it's near impossible to get all the prickles they leave it your hand out.

Myka
01-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Google "Melev ID".