PDA

View Full Version : Wondering out loud.

christyf5
01-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I've always found it fascinating while doing a red bug treatment that I'm the only one whos nerves are frazzled and is experiencing anything out of the norm. The corals are all tickety boo, polyps expanded more fully now they don't have those pesky red bugs sucking back all their goodness. Fish are fishing around for food, constantly putting on a show as I sit and watch them (why won't she feed us?!). I haven't seen any pod corpses float by, then again my melanurus wrasse keeps the population pretty low I would imagine as he hunts them constantly. The only population I've seen is in my overflow which is fairly awkward to look at as its wedged in next to the wall.

As I loathe doing water changes (and yes I am going to do the 30% as planned, ugh) but what would happen if I didn't? If I just ran carbon and left the tank to do its thing. Does any one know how long interceptor is supposed to last in water?

BTW, I don't have a sandbed so I don't expect the die off that Marie speculated might have attributed to her algae problems after treating with Interceptor.

marie
01-05-2008, 09:53 PM
BTW, I don't have a sandbed so I don't expect the die off that Marie speculated might have attributed to her algae problems after treating with Interceptor.
Interestingly enough, I don't have any cyano or dinos on my sandbed it is all exclusively on the rocks and coral skeletons

Tom R
01-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Christy

If it helps my nerves were frazzled while you were doing your red bug treatment.

Happy New Year

Tom R

christyf5
01-05-2008, 10:36 PM
I was thinking more that perhaps you have more fauna in your sandbed that might have died off creating the problems. I don't know if I've ever treated with interceptor with a sandbed as previously I didn't seem to be able to keep SPS with a sandbed.

I have various patches of cyano that only occur on the rocks although when I had dinos they weren't picky about where they grew. I do find it odd, how the dinos (or whatever algae you showed in the photos) are growing on the little dead bits of some of your corals that are still living. Have you tried breaking those bits off? I suppose inevitably you would always have a bit of skeleton exposed that way.

christyf5
01-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi Christy

If it helps my nerves were frazzled while you were doing your red bug treatment.

Happy New Year

Tom R

:rofl:

Thanks Tom :wink:

Happy New Year to you too!

marie
01-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I was thinking more that perhaps you have more fauna in your sandbed that might have died off creating the problems. I don't know if I've ever treated with interceptor with a sandbed as previously I didn't seem to be able to keep SPS with a sandbed.

I have various patches of cyano that only occur on the rocks although when I had dinos they weren't picky about where they grew. I do find it odd, how the dinos (or whatever algae you showed in the photos) are growing on the little dead bits of some of your corals that are still living. Have you tried breaking those bits off? I suppose inevitably you would always have a bit of skeleton exposed that way.

I was thinking the same way myself and then while I read your first post it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't seen any cyano on the sandbed, which is kind of odd

I thought about trimming the exposed bits of skeleton but I didn't want to risk damaging more of the coral
So far I've only had the one complete loss otherwise it's just some tips peeling and I'd like to keep it that way.

Oh and not to frazzle your nerves worse or anything, my first interceptor treatment went without a hitch. It was after the second one that things began to slide downhill :mrgreen:

mark
01-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Other than killing off my cleaner shrimp and reducing my pods, about the only other negative I've noticed with Interceptor is seems to get a bit of a light dusting on diatoms on the glass.

christyf5
01-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Oh and not to frazzle your nerves worse or anything, my first interceptor treatment went without a hitch. It was after the second one that things began to slide downhill :mrgreen:

Sadly this is my third or fourth treatment. :redface: I was being really diligent earlier this year about treating any frags going into the system but I have gotten lazy as of late and now I'm paying for it. Even after this many treatments I still get nervous.

christyf5
01-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Other than killing off my cleaner shrimp and reducing my pods, about the only other negative I've noticed with Interceptor is seems to get a bit of a light dusting on diatoms on the glass.

Yes I haven't had any problems either except for the death of a fromia star, I'm not sure if it was interceptor related but disappeared about the same time as I did a treatment. I didn't notice it missing until weeks later though.