PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy Sheets of Foam Rubber in Vancouver or Victoria?

Canadian
01-05-2008, 03:30 PM
When I move my tank in a week or so I want to replace the existing material I have between the tank and stand with a material similar to a yoga or pilates mat. Are there any places that sell something like this in either white or black in Vancouver or Victoria?

Because my tank is small I can probably get away with just buying a yoga mat and cutting it down to size (which was what I originally planned). However every yoga mat I see is some pastel shade of teal, pink, lavender, etc. and I need white or black. Plus I'd rather not have to pay $40 for an overpriced Lululemon yoga mat.

fishface
01-05-2008, 04:07 PM
i used a dense foam piece of carpet underlay from HD...you can buy it by the foot which is nice. you could also use one of those closed cell bed mat typically used for camping...shouldn't be more than $10 and thery're easily found.

digital-audiophile
01-05-2008, 04:19 PM
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=930622&Ntt=930622&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

We use these as play mats but they would work I would think? HD has them in black as well and not the expensive step 2 brand ... they are only something like $15 for 4 if I recall.

banditpowdercoat
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=930622&Ntt=930622&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

We use these as play mats but they would work I would think? HD has them in black as well and not the expensive step 2 brand ... they are only something like $15 for 4 if I recall.
Will these type mats work in SW? to insulate my submersable pumps??

StirCrazy
01-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Ref_Raf found an awsome pad at home depot, it is black and an open cell foam rubber. best thing I have seen to use yet, but some one else went to HD and couldn't find it so it might be a item you have to look for. maybe Brad will chime in with the name of it.

Steve

Kayleb
01-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I agree with these examples, as they are probably the best bang for buck, but for another option if you need a smaller piece you can find it at hobby stores,(like BC shaver) it is used to wrap up R\C components to prevent shock, it comes in various densities and thickness. Just another option, Maybe not the best but it might be what your looking for.

GrimReefer
01-05-2008, 06:29 PM
I've used closed-cell foam camping mats from Canadian Tire on more than one occasion. The Home Depot options are likely cheaper though.

Canadian
01-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I can find a white yoga/pilates mat. When I move the tank I may change it to BB and I want the white bottom so it will reflect light back up (at least before it's covered in coralline algae). Also, more importantly, a yoga mat is typically less than 1/4" thick and I want to stay away from anything much thicker than that so it's not visible when looking at the rimless tank.

TheGrimReefer,

Do you have any recent pics of your tank? What are your parameters and how are your SPS doing with a Remora skimmer on a BB tank? I'm assuming the refugium probably picks up a lot of the slack for the iffy skimmer, but are you having any problems maintaining stable parameters with a BB tank and that skimmer?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/147Full_Front.jpg

GrimReefer
01-05-2008, 07:27 PM
TheGrimReefer,

Do you have any recent pics of your tank? What are your parameters and how are your SPS doing with a Remora skimmer on a BB tank? I'm assuming the refugium probably picks up a lot of the slack for the iffy skimmer, but are you having any problems maintaining stable parameters with a BB tank and that skimmer?

No recent pics as the tank is almost empty now. I've decided to sell the system to make room for a larger tank. Parameters were very stable. So stable that I really slacked off on water changes and ended up having phosphate trouble in the form of hair algae. Always a solid 0 on the nitrates though, and I attribute that to the DSB in the fuge.