PDA

View Full Version : Calcium lower each day after using new product

Der_Iron_Chef
01-04-2008, 04:15 AM
I picked up a bottle of Kent's Liquid Reactor a week ago. I read mixed reviews, but decided to give it a chance.

When I first started using it, my calcium was low--330ppm. I dosed 10mL per day for 5 days. Each day, the calcium got lower and lower, despite the fact that I was adding the Liquid Reactor each night. Calcium just measured 300ppm.

I also tested Mg (1485ppm) and alkalinity (6dKh...I know...low).

Any thoughts?

fkshiu
01-04-2008, 04:50 AM
I'd go through some of Randy Holmes-Farley's articles about the interrelationship between Ca and Alk in a reef aquarium. I know he's not a big fan of Liquid Reactor-type products concluding that it's not much more than liquified aragonite sand in a bottle.

If I were you I'd start dosing CaCl and Sodium Carbonate in equal amounts to bump up Ca and Alk to acceptable baseline levels before experimenting with Liquid Reactor again.

Reefer Rob
01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Ya, according to Randy Liquid Reactor will actually precipitate calcium out of your water.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Well isn't that just great! So I wonder what happened for the people who had success with it.

StirCrazy
01-04-2008, 10:51 PM
one thing to check befor you garbage it is your Mg level. if it is low and continuing to drop it will suppress your Ca level and you can add all day and it will not go up. you should have Mg at 1350ppm.

Steve

danny zubot
01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I also tested Mg (1485ppm) and alkalinity (6dKh...I know...low).

What is happening with your ALK when you dose? I used this stuff for a while and found it to be insufficiant for my system. Now I dose Kent's Turbo Calcium, and 2 part home made ALK additive. (baking and washing soda)

StirCrazy
01-04-2008, 10:59 PM
What is happening with your ALK when you dose? I used this stuff for a while and found it to be insufficiant for my system. Now I dose Kent's Turbo Calcium, and 2 part home made ALK additive. (baking and washing soda)

ya ya, I know selective reading LOL

Steve

marie
01-04-2008, 11:25 PM
My first thought is that your not adding enough to keep up with your calcium demand