PDA

View Full Version : How the mighty fall

marie
01-04-2008, 02:10 AM
Not that I consider myself mighty, it just seemed like a catchy title :razz: .

It's been a rough couple of weeks for me, I treated my tank for redbugs at the beginning of december and 2 days after the second treatment I got an outbreak of cyano and dinoflagellets. Just after christmas I woke up to find my fastest growing acro had rtn'd in the night, I tried to frag off the few bits remaining but it was too late :cry:.
I have a couple of acros that have tissue peeling from the base (stn) and I have a couple of acros with tissue peeling from the tips.
My slowest growing acro is going through a great growth spurt and has never looked better and my big stag, other sps and my montiporas are carrying on like absolutely nothing is wrong.
I have done a 30g water change every 48hrs and I am cleaning my skimmer often to keep it at optimal performance.
Now it's just a waiting game to see what will recover and what will succumb.
I figure the interceptor must of killed off some critters that I had lots of and that released major nutrients into the water column.
Sorry for the long post I just had to rant

Der_Iron_Chef
01-04-2008, 02:14 AM
Ugh. That sucks, Marie. Sounds like you're doing everything you can do, though.

michika
01-04-2008, 02:24 AM
I'm sorry to hear your having back luck. I hope things return to normal soon in your system.

marie
01-04-2008, 02:37 AM
Yea it sucks, i don't want to look at my tank at the moment
before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/sept23015.jpg
After
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/jan3007.jpg
a pic of some of the damage, I've blown the dinos off twice today
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/jan3006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/jan3002.jpg

And yet the frag I got from Tom a couple of months ago is growing like a weed,it was just a stick and now it has 6 points
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/jan3005.jpg

michika
01-04-2008, 02:42 AM
Even at your tank's worst it still looks lovely. I'm sorry about your staghorn.

Chaloupa
01-04-2008, 02:48 AM
Oh Marie! I feel so badly for you.....Interceptor was so easy for me...it's the other stuff I'm dealing with that sucks....UGH..sometimes this is tough.

Snappy
01-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Sorry to hear about your tank problems. This hobby can be as frustrating as it can be rewarding at times, sometimes more so. I'm sure things will bounce back for you in no time.

christyf5
01-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Aww, sorry to hear that Marie. I have to treat for red bugs sometime this week. I hope I don't have any issues, dinoflagellates would be the end of this hobby for me :eek:

niloc16
01-04-2008, 03:21 AM
i totally know where you are coming from. i have had a rough couple months as well, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. run lots of carbon and change every week or 2 weeks, maybe even run chemipure to help absorb the chemical warfare. i have had a case of red bugs and recovered and an amazing war with dinos and just recovered. keep your head up, crap happens but stick with what youre doing and it will get better.

Jason McK
01-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Hey Marie, I have been going through a very similar experience. How is your ALK?

J

marie
01-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Hey Marie, I have been going through a very similar experience. How is your ALK?

J
Alk is approx. 10dkh, holding fairly steady now. It did get as high as 12 before i realized my cal/alk demand had dropped a bit

marie
01-04-2008, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The hardest part is feeling so powerless, you do everything you can and then you have to just sit and wait it out

Skimmerking
01-04-2008, 04:05 AM
I know what you are going through Marie , after I lost all my frag to RTN and what ever it was in my tank, I packed it in and went lps and softies... I must have lost about 5-600 dollars in frags that I bought from Gools

Jason McK
01-04-2008, 04:13 AM
Sorry to see you in such termoil. I to am dealing with similar issues. I'm currently running Zeovit and it is far more sensative to ALK spikes. i'm wondering if to a lesser degree your 12 DKH. Might have something to do with it.
I know I racked my brain to find answers, that is the only reason I suggest these things.

J

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-04-2008, 04:25 AM
Dang Marie. I hope things turn around soon for you. The two buckets of salt I had John bring up to PR should come in handy if you need to do more water changes. Let me know if there's anything I can do from down here to help out.

Anthony

Reefer Rob
01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I've just went through something similar after treating my tank for flatworms nearly 3 months ago. My tank went through a new tank cycle all over again. Now my tank has never looked better, so hang in there! Are you running GFO? It turned the corner for me.

fishoholic
01-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, I hope things take a turn for the better soon. Good luck vibes being sent your way

Tom R
01-05-2008, 03:59 AM
Hi Marie

I am sorry to hear of your problems. It seems that even the best go through cycles that test their metal. I know that with your knowledge and past success your tank will look fantastic in the very near future.

On the other hand I am very pleased that the frags I gave you have taken hold and are doing well. I was very concerned as when we arrived at your place I was very disappointed with the way the frags I gave you had transported. I did not think they would make it.

Tom R

marie
01-05-2008, 04:35 AM
Hi Marie

I am sorry to hear of your problems. It seems that even the best go through cycles that test their metal. I know that with your knowledge and past success your tank will look fantastic in the very near future.

On the other hand I am very pleased that the frags I gave you have taken hold and are doing well. I was very concerned as when we arrived at your place I was very disappointed with the way the frags I gave you had transported. I did not think they would make it.

Tom R

All 4 frags are completely unaffected by whatever is bothering my tank, they look great :mrgreen: