PDA

View Full Version : Adding another display tank to the system.....???

bloat
01-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Looking for some ideas with this one...

I have a 114 display tank, hooked up to a 36 gal sump....I also have a 50gal refugium that is hooked to the sump as well. Both the display tank & refugium are hooked via CPR overflows to the sump.

Now....I want to add another display tank to the setup. It ould be about 16feet away from any of the other tanks. Any Idea how I could safely join this tank to the system safely??

The tank that I'm thinking of getting is drilled with an overflow installed.
I was just hoping to "tie" into the current system.....instead of running a seperate sump/refugium. I would have to push water against gravity at least 16' in order to attach to my sump.

mark
01-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Assuming your new tank is higher than the sump, could just run a dedicated pump for your new tank and drain back to the sump or if your pump has the capacity, of teeing into it to feed the new tank. This is only if your sump has the volume to handle the extra water in-case of power failural the new lines would hold.

bloat
01-04-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm pretty sure my sump can handle the extra water incase of a power outage......and I can get an extra pump in my sump to drive water to the new tank.....I just don't know how to let the water flow from the new tank to the sump, since it will have to travel against gravity up about 6' before heading back down to the sump again......

bloat
01-04-2008, 02:35 AM
i may just have to hook up another sump....i was hoping to share the top up system and have both display tanks looped with the refugium....

digital-audiophile
01-04-2008, 02:36 AM
Allthough my drain line does not travel 16' it does travel up ~12" after dropping from the overflow. If you get a strong enough water return it should help to push and then syphon the water into the sump. Not a pump expert at all but 16' is a lot of head loss.

Brent F
01-04-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm pretty sure my sump can handle the extra water incase of a power outage......and I can get an extra pump in my sump to drive water to the new tank.....I just don't know how to let the water flow from the new tank to the sump, since it will have to travel against gravity up about 6' before heading back down to the sump again......

If the high point is below the overflow height the system should flow without having to have a siphon. The pressure of the water moving down will push the water up. The more water pushing down vs pushing up the faster it will flow.

Here's a link to a picture of the Brooks Aquaduct where the water goes under a rail line. This shows how water can drop and rise again using just gravity. Basically if there is more water pushing down than you are trying to push up the system will flow
http://www.agnew.biz/travel06/070716%20CRW_3330.jpg

If the point you have to go over is higher than the overflow you would need a siphon making this layout risky - siphon break could cause a flood.

One thing you can do to test this would be to setup a couple buckets and a hose running the route. See it the hose will flow or not.
________
vapir air one vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

KrazyKuch
01-04-2008, 05:05 AM
are the tanks on the same floor, or different floors???Also when you say it has to go 16' is that 16' vertically or horizontally???

if its verticall you can just use a pressure rated pump....the reeflow snapper pumps are good for 26' i believe

bloat
01-04-2008, 07:39 AM
yes I need to run it verically.....(up into the ceiling and back down)
Sounds like a pump like that could work...as long as it doesn't increase the flow unpredictably.
any idea where i can get a pump like that???

mark
01-04-2008, 02:28 PM
There's no problem of getting pumps with high head, I'm using a Iwaki with a basement sump and something like equivilant of 16' of head, the issue is going to be your drain. I would stay away of anything that basically is going to need to work as a siphon.

michika
01-04-2008, 07:24 PM
yes I need to run it verically.....(up into the ceiling and back down)
Sounds like a pump like that could work...as long as it doesn't increase the flow unpredictably.
any idea where i can get a pump like that???

Most stores should be able to bring in pumps for you. If you want details on Reeflo pumps the website is reeflopumps.com