PDA

View Full Version : What are these?

BC_Grl
02-07-2003, 02:27 AM
We had originally thought that the first picture is a feather duster of some sort. Not much of a picture since the regal tang has been eating them!
http://members.shaw.ca/bc_grl/Image001sm.jpg

Is the second one a disc anemone?
http://members.shaw.ca/bc_grl/Image004-sm.jpg

Thanks for your help :)

Mak
02-07-2003, 02:54 AM
The first one is a Calcium based Algae, don't know the name but it is harmless :wink: .

Second one looks like a Bubble tip :? .

smokinreefer
02-07-2003, 03:24 AM
yup,
the first is a calcium based algae...
the second is a ricordia sp. mushroom.

BCOrchidGuy
02-07-2003, 03:37 AM
BC Grl, I've got a bunch of them on my rocks too, kinda cool looking.

Troy F
02-07-2003, 03:38 AM
Do a search on majano anemones on one of the big boards.

StirCrazy
02-07-2003, 04:03 AM
Do a search on majano anemones on one of the big boards.

Manjo would be my guess also

Steve

BC_Grl
02-07-2003, 04:29 AM
Thanks all. :D
It helps when you know what the heck those things are... hehe
We'll get rid of that anemone for sure!

DJ88
02-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Jeanna,

I'd hold off on nuking the second one.

I have had mojano's. And they never looked like that. There is usually a much wider area clear of tentacles around the mouth of a Mojano. I am betting that Shao is much closer to the guess. It looks more like some form of ricordia or other corallimorph to me. But that is me. How much does it retract at night? Does it retract?

As well Mojanos appear a lot greener with brown or pink tips that elongate as they grow. by the size appearance of your's they tips should be a bit more elongated. Actually much more.

Post that picture in Eric B.'s forum on RC. Best bet. You may have something nice there.

take a look at this search and you can see that pretty much every Mojano has a similar appearance. Like I described. Tho I could be off in left field.

Still if it isn't reproducing like a weed. Why not get a complete ID and see from there. It can't hurt.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=797654&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

DJ88
02-07-2003, 04:58 AM
One other thing I'd like to add.. If you look closely there are two mouths to this thing. And I really think you may want to hold off on killing this thing. Check it out.

StirCrazy
02-07-2003, 05:20 AM
We'll get rid of that anemone for sure!

which ever it turns out to be, even if it is a manjo why kill it.. watch it to see what it does, i would let it go presonaly unless it did something wrong.. I hate killing thinks just because, heck I even let the Aptasia in the bottom tank live :wink:

Steve

Maintenance Man
02-07-2003, 05:49 AM
Hello this is bc_grl husband here . hello everyone . Some more info on the second picture . It has three mouths not two , and at night it folds up into a dome shape .The only pictures I have that come close to it ,is in my marine atlas , they are Amplexidscus fenestrfer ,at night . and in the day it looks like Ricordea but with three mouths.When the tanks lights go out tonight I will take a flash light and have a closer look at it . And thank you for the imput folks :D

Troy F
02-07-2003, 02:13 PM
I just thought it a possiblility that should be explored. Steve, if it were mojano, they proliferate and are stingers. It would be like saying leave your aiptasia alive.

AJ_77
02-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Looks very much like what e-corals calls "RICORDEA FLORIDA (NEON YELLOW-GREEN)"
Let's see if we can link to the picture.
http://www.ecorals.tv/images/products/300/00/00/09/00000966-20020711175704-96608183.jpg
Yup, it's under the Soft Corals at ecorals.tv so there is some concern you'd be killing something expensive.

HI ANDY :wink:

StirCrazy
02-07-2003, 08:38 PM
It would be like saying leave your aiptasia alive.

Um.. I do leave them alive in the bottom tank :wink:

Steve

ldzielak
02-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Jeanna

I have both of the above, harmless. Check this old post, Ricordea look just like your. If you have 3 mouths, means they are reproducing.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3198

Lee

BC_Grl
02-08-2003, 02:09 AM
Thanks again for your help. :)
Andy likes it... But if it was a pest, I would want to eradicate it. Sorry Steve, but I wouldn't want to allow Aiptasia in my tank.
So, it looks like it stays.

Van down by the river
02-14-2003, 09:30 AM
If you are interested, the algae is Neomeris annulata or Neomeris vanbosseae. Both are found from intertidal to 30M.
Fossa and Nilsen briefly mention it in Vol1 pg.285- They mention that it often does well in newer systems but seems to fail in the long term.
Anyways it's no harm. I suspect that with constant predation from your tangs it will be short lived in your system.

As to the Ricordea, and YES it is Ricordia, NOT Amplexidiscus fenestrafer.
A.fenestrafer has a "bare" strip close to the outer edge of it's disc, with spaced out tentacles.The picture has neither, as to the Marine Atlas, turn the page......look familiar?

As to the 3 mouths, congradulations you are a mommy!! :D
Definitely a happy coral.

I don't mean to blast anyone but sometimes it seams too many people have the mentality of "Buy now,learn later" :x . I'm not asking everyone to become self studied scientists, but do you have any books at all? I'm sure they look nice in the book case, but they work better when you read them!
Am I saying I know everything, NOT at all!!.....but I can tell the difference between a Aptasia and Ricordea(even though I'm lost without a spellchecker).
Please no one take this post personally, it just seems in general, too often someone comes for help, and everyone and their dog replies(in all the forums).....with wrong or misleading answers :( . This only serves to further confuse and misdirect their fellow aquarists.

People spend thousands on their reef, so spend a hundred bucks on a good book or two(remember an animal's life is in your hands). Not sure which ones? email me and I'll recommend some, or better yet, start a new question thread( I can also suggest where they are the cheapest.

For those that just seem to like to see their own text on screen(that don't really know the answer), write a letter to your mom! I'm sure it's been awhile and she would really appreciate it!!!

AJ_77
02-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Good advice, Van. BTW, do you have a Nomex (flame-resistant) suit?? :wink: You might need it.

:shock:

Delphinus
02-14-2003, 03:38 PM
VDBTR ... please chill out ... this is a fun place. We're all here just having a little fun, and maybe we learn something, too. There's no need to be admonishing and scolding people like some kind of cranky old schoolteacher ten years past retirement age. There's also no need to be suggesting that people are posting only to see their own text. Dude, that's not nice. There's no harm in people asking for opinions of an ID of something, because even if they have the so-called "right" books it can be hard to nail down an ID because there usually simply isn't the wealth of experience for comparison. A second opinion is just that ... an opinion. Some are valid, some of off-base, some are humourous.

Peace ... OK??? :)

BCOrchidGuy
02-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Sorry Van but I agree with the moderator here, I am not a scientist, I'm an amatuer aqarium keeper, I make mistakes, and yes I have books, many and I read them often. Personally I find some things difficult to find out until I see something in person. I have a daisy coral, I thought it was a goniporia but I finally saw one today and now I know the pet store was right, it isn't a gonoporia. I make mistakes but I learn from them, as do most if I am not mistaken.

Van down by the river
02-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Okay I owe you all an apology. especially to Maintenance man.
I apologize for for blasting and ranting.
It was not meant to be directed at anybody in particular. I guess I've seen to many threads with incorrect info.
I think BC_GRl asked a good question, and deserves a good answer. (I liked DJ88's)
Yes I like the socializing as well(in the threads). I guess I just had a rude way of venting, my wrong.

To anyone that will now "watch" me for slip ups, I am not "hollier than thou". I make many mistakes, but I put allot of effort into avoiding them.
Believe it or not I spend most of my time listening.

By the way Tony,
I crack up every time I see your signature qoute.

Peace?

BC_Grl
02-17-2003, 03:38 AM
Van, the items I asked about were not ones we've purchased and put the on the rock to attach, but rather they were what was already on live rock that we had purchased. So, they came free and we just wanted to know what it was.

Van down by the river
02-17-2003, 08:17 AM
Nice hitchhikers, must have been nice rock. Too many boulders in the trade these days it's nice to see stowaways.