PDA

View Full Version : I think I need help with my RO/DI

digital-audiophile
01-03-2008, 03:41 PM
OK.. so I bought an aquasafe unit 2 years ago and it has been sitting in my basement since. I've been using tap water for too long and I am done procrastinating and need to get this unit set up.

The problem? MY DIY skills are poor at best.. I have been through the instructions too many times and I still do not get it (and maybe I am a little scared to try to do it.. part of the reason why it has been sitting for so long) I am hoping someone could lend me a hand to get this thing hooked up?

Thanks!

Der_Iron_Chef
01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey Greg--

I set one up just a few months ago. I'm assuming it's the same unit! What, specifically, are you having problems with? I'm getting a regular TDS reading of 0, so I'm assuming I've done it right :)

digital-audiophile
01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Drew,

I have not even set it up.. I scared to do it :cry:

What I'm hoping is that someone could come over and walk me through it and help me get it going?

Der_Iron_Chef
01-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I could do that, but just not tonight. I understand the fear of plumbing, lol.

Where are you installing it? Under a sink or what?

digital-audiophile
01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I appreciate your offer of help Drew :) Whatever time works best for you though, I don't want to be an inconvenience at all. Typically the weekends are the best for me as weeknights are tough as when I get home my time is consumed with bathing my daughter and getting her to bed and then trying to make supper for the wife and I and all that jazz.

I was actually thinking about putting it in my furnace room as my main tank is plumbed through the wall into ther, where I have my sump and my 60 gallon. I would imagine it could be tapped into the cold water feed line to the bathroom sink from there.

One thing I am really trying to get my head around is how the water comes out of it? Does it just dump into a rubber maid.. do I need a float switch or do I just manually turn on the valves let it make its water and turn it off when enough is made?

Anyhow.. let me know what would work for you if you don't mind lending a hand :) I really do appreciate it.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-03-2008, 04:04 PM
No worries, Greg. I have mine set up pretty simply. I turn it on, drain it into a container, and then turn it off when I'm done (I set a few timers around the house to make sure I don't forget, lol). So with float switches, I'm afraid I won't be much help. But with the actual setting up of the unit, I'm pretty confident.

PM me on the weekend if you still need some help by then, and let me know what works for you!

digital-audiophile
01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks Drew. I'll drop you a PM in a couple days to check your schedule. :)

Delphinus
01-03-2008, 04:23 PM
It's not that bad, you're going to feel silly when it's all done :p

Anyhow, I was gonna offer to come over and help too if you want, but I wouldn't be able to come by until the weekend. (Sorry!) But if Drew comes over, you're in good hands anyhow. :)

Der_Iron_Chef
01-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Aw shucks :redface: Hey, we could make it an RO/DI party. You know you're a geek WHEN.

Delphinus
01-03-2008, 05:03 PM
:rofl:

digital-audiophile
01-03-2008, 05:09 PM
LOL, yeah, I was always told that fish people were a different bunch :p

Thanks for the offer Tony, I really appreciate it. If Drew and I have any problems Ill be sure to phone :)

danny zubot
01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I was actually thinking about putting it in my furnace room as my main tank is plumbed through the wall into ther, where I have my sump and my 60 gallon. I would imagine it could be tapped into the cold water feed line to the bathroom sink from there.

Thats what I did and it works really well. There should be a drain close to your hot water tank (provided you HWT is close to where you want the install done) that you can use for your waste water dump.

digital-audiophile
01-03-2008, 06:40 PM
The floor drain is about 4 feet away from where I think I could mount the unit so I hope that should work. :)

mark
01-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Got mine in the furnace/sump room as well works great for the last 2 years.

Using 1/4" line and JG fittings, from the output of the ro/di unit I have a tee. One side goes to a mini ball valve then a line long enough to reach where I store my mix barrel and for other uses. The other side of the tee goes to another mini valve then a float valve for ATO in my sump.

Have a 1/2" line tee'd into the drain for the furnace (Hi-efficiency furnace with line to floor drain) which I just put the 1/4" waste water line from the ro/di into. By having the ro/di waste line loose, I can just pull it out of the 1/2" line for a quick check or ever want to measure waste ratio.

Use the piercing valve to source water for the ro/di unit from the copper line that supplies the HWT.

Brent F
01-03-2008, 09:57 PM
I know how you feel, Greg. I had new kitchen taps sitting around for 3 months and a R.O unit sitting around for a month. Finally got around to installing them over the Christmas break.

I went with the water spout setup installed under the Kitchen sink since my tanks are in a room without a water supply. Also made it easier to justify since we can use it for drinking water as well as for the tanks. Other than about 5 trips to Home Depot the installation was fairly easy.

I need to fill 5 gallon water jugs in the kitchen and carry them to the tanks. Last night I forgot I had the tap on and overflowed a water jug all over the kitchen floor. Oops.
________
Harley-Davidson FLSTNI (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_FLSTNI)

Myka
01-04-2008, 02:59 AM
I need to fill 5 gallon water jugs in the kitchen and carry them to the tanks. Last night I forgot I had the tap on and overflowed a water jug all over the kitchen floor. Oops.

I have mine setup so the lines are long enough for me to put the 5 gallon jug in the kitchen sink. I set up a timer for myself as well, but if the jug overflows it just goes down the drain. I just got my unit, and have only filled 2 jugs, and already overflowed one for an hour. LOL! Good thing for the sink... :D

Matt
01-04-2008, 03:05 AM
I used to fill 5 gal totes and carry them downstairs. I recently got smart, went to HD and bought a dehumidifier float valve, a bit of 1/4" tubing, a T, and a small ball valve. Now, the line goes downstairs, and filling is easy!
Got mine in the furnace/sump room as well works great for the last 2 years.

Using 1/4" line and JG fittings, from the output of the ro/di unit I have a tee. One side goes to a mini ball valve then a line long enough to reach where I store my mix barrel and for other uses. The other side of the tee goes to another mini valve then a float valve for ATO in my sump.

Have a 1/2" line tee'd into the drain for the furnace (Hi-efficiency furnace with line to floor drain) which I just put the 1/4" waste water line from the ro/di into. By having the ro/di waste line loose, I can just pull it out of the 1/2" line for a quick check or ever want to measure waste ratio.

Use the piercing valve to source water for the ro/di unit from the copper line that supplies the HWT.

Brent F
01-04-2008, 03:05 AM
I never thought of that:redface:
The system's pressurized so can push water up. I can put the jug in the sink instead of on the floor.

Thanks
________
TS125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_TS125)

banditpowdercoat
01-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Ya, I put my RO in the sink,and bucket on the counter. Will plumb in one day.....

KrazyKuch
01-04-2008, 04:58 AM
If you want to hook it up to a float valve I can help you out with that....I'm wicked at the plumbing aspect of this hobby!!

TANGOMAN
01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Definately incorporate a float valve. It'll be the best $15.00 you've spent. If your furnace is equipped with a humidifier, "T" into the supply line for that to supply the RO unit. As mentioned, use a ball valve there to disable the system for servicing. I'd avoid using the fittings which pierce pressurized lines...

digital-audiophile
01-06-2008, 06:23 PM
You know I never though about going into the humidifier supply line, that is a heck of a great idea!!

TANGOMAN
01-07-2008, 02:54 AM
A great idea it is...! A sign of wisdom, which comes with age, and enough screw-ups to write a book...!