PDA

View Full Version : trim on the aquarium

asherah
01-03-2008, 01:20 AM
so can I remoe the black trim around the top of the aquarium ? Does it need that for support ? If so what is the best way to remoe it ?

thanks alot
asherah

Myka
01-03-2008, 03:12 AM
It is required for support of the panes. If you remove it you need to add euro bracing or a centre brace.

howdy20012002
01-03-2008, 03:22 AM
I don't think that the plastic trim provides much support unless it goes across like a brace. if it is just around the edges, I don't think it give much support for anything.
that is my personal opinion though
Neal

KrazyKuch
01-03-2008, 03:48 AM
what size tank is it?

asherah
01-03-2008, 04:51 AM
220g I think it would look much nicer without it but if it will jeopardise the integrity I won't remove it

asherah

Aquattro
01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
no, the trim only protects you from the roughly finished glass along the top edges, it doesn't provide support. Unless you specifically have the edges ground and polished, it may not look better at all.

Myka
01-03-2008, 02:25 PM
no, the trim only protects you from the roughly finished glass along the top edges, it doesn't provide support. Unless you specifically have the edges ground and polished, it may not look better at all.

My understanding as told to me by a custom tank builder was that the trim provided support for the corners of the tank...?

justinl
01-03-2008, 02:43 PM
My understanding as told to me by a custom tank builder was that the trim provided support for the corners of the tank...?

ive never heard that (unless it actually incorporates itself as an obvious brace like neal mentioned). do you know anything about the tank (you could call the manufacturer)? or are you buying it second hand (you could ask the previous owner)?

i agree with brad, unfinished glass edges can be a pain, but then i also like the look of trimless tanks enough that i would do it anyways and just finish the edges myself (or get someone to do it for me)

Der_Iron_Chef
01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Or you could take the trim off and add a little Eurobracing. I think that would look better/cleaner than trim, too.

Aquattro
01-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Well, I would find it hard to believe clip together plastic will hold 2000 pounds of water in a tank. And I've removed mine before with no ill effects. Many tank manufacturers will offer a trimless tank with polished edges. And most tanks already have either euro or centre bracing, the trim would not replace that. If the tank does not have a brace system via euro or centre, it doesn't need it as the glass is probably thick enough (unless someone removed the brace and shouldn't have). Really, it's just decorative plastic.

Shipwreck
01-03-2008, 03:59 PM
There are 2 types of black trim on the tops of tanks. 1 is only to cover the rough glass edges and to provide the "lip" where a lid would rest and the other provides structural integrity.

Check the trim at the corner of the tank. If there is a mitre joint (2 separate pieces of trim joined at a 45deg angle) then this is just the trim for looks.

The structural trim will be a single molded piece and will most likely also include a center brace or two. This trim is designed to support the glass and keep it from bowing out. I wouldn't remove this with water in the tank and it will need to be replaced with eurobracing and center braces.

The best way I have found to remove them is to us a trim saw (flat blade, many teeth) and cut out a 1"-2" section. You will need to pry out this first piece which is the worst part. After that you can put a flat screwdriver under the remaining trim. If it the molded trim you should also pre cut it at the corners and bracing areas so you are working with smaller pieces.

The trim is usually siliconed on which now means you will need to do alot of scraping to clean the glass. The bigger problem is that manufacturers that use either trim don't take the time to sand or polish the edge of the glass so it is very sharp and often uneven so you will need to do something about this.

This is a lot of work. What might be easier is to either paint the trim (outside of the tank only) with Krylon paint to match the decor or cover it with thin strips of wood, etc.

Good luck.

Aquattro
01-03-2008, 05:51 PM
The one piece molded trim is used for bracing as well (it has the cross section brace) however I have not seen this type of trim on tanks usually larger than 33g. 100+ gallon tanks don't have this trim, AFAIK.

Shipwreck
01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Perfecto tanks of at least 120g use the one piece moled structural trim, I know for a fact, that's what I have.

Aquattro
01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Perfecto tanks of at least 120g use the one piece moled structural trim, I know for a fact, that's what I have.

Hmm, never seen big tanks out here with them (although in Victoria, most of our stuff is seastar and I don't think they use it at all). I know though that I wouldn't trust the tank to just a plastic strip across the top :) Betting you could remove the strip and be fine.

Doug
01-03-2008, 09:46 PM
My standard 90g AGA has the full wrap trim with center brace. I would never remove it from my tank, and as a matter of fact, purchased it because I thought the black trimmed tanks looked better from my situation.

Myka
01-04-2008, 03:07 AM
My standard 90g AGA has the full wrap trim with center brace. I would never remove it from my tank, and as a matter of fact, purchased it because I thought the black trimmed tanks looked better from my situation.

Ya, my AGA 65g has the centre brace too. I'm going to cut the brace out and replace with euro-bracing. I also like tanks with trim...I think the trimless look unfinished. But maybe that's because I'm a carpenter. LOL!

Brent F
01-04-2008, 03:11 AM
I like trim too because it hides the water line. The exception is tanks meant to be viewed from above
________
buy cheap vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/easy-vape)

Kayleb
01-04-2008, 03:19 AM
I customized my 75gal All Glass by removing both trims, (they are the molded single piece style) and cutting out the center brace on a table saw to get a clean cut. Then I installed 3"x1\2" strips of glass around all edges 2 @ 48", 2 @ 11 1\8" (this is called euro bracing). I like this because it adds strength, (there is zero deflection in the glass, you can measure this simply with a staight edge and tape measure or ruler) and makes it much more difficult for water to spill over, and more importantly fish have a tougher time jumping out. I put my trims back on because, one being single piece it makes sense that they hold the corners together and secondly if I ever drop a piece of rock or worse yet a porcelain light socket on the top edge of the glass, well you don't even want to think about that, a plastic trim would go a long ways in that situation. Oh getting the trims off can be a little tricky but if your interested I'll let you know what worked for me.

asherah
01-05-2008, 04:03 AM
heh I think I will just leave them on =p