PDA

View Full Version : Eric Borneman speaking in Seattle

christyf5
02-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone was planning on going to see Eric Borneman speak at the PSAS meeting in Seattle on Feb 22nd??

Heres a link to info:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148040

Christy :)

One_Divided
02-06-2003, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't mind heading over if there were enough people to keep expences down.

zulu_principle
02-07-2003, 12:48 AM
I think im going to go, leaving in the morning tour a couple of the local fish stores.

I need to back for the next day, the fishroom so would be driving back that night.

I can take another 4 people if anyone is interested.

Wendell

sumpfinfishe
02-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Hey Wendal, Rich here- I would love to tag along for the meeting. The tour of a few lfs would also be great :!: Would Saltwater City in Bellvue maybe be included in one of your stops :?: I also have to be back that night so that plan of yours would work for me. :wink:

zulu_principle
02-07-2003, 03:17 PM
I just received this from Paul, I saw Borneman talk at MACNA so I think I will skip this.

Make sure you join if you are planning on attending.

Wendell:

Eric will be at the Blue Sierra local fish store on Feb. 22nd at 6pm to address the PSAS membership. He will be giving his MACNA "What makes Corals tick" presentation. We are concerned that there will not be enough space for everyone if we let non-members (not just yourself but non-paying local members) attend this presentation. So our policy will be to let dues paying members only attend. You can join PSAS for $10 US which would include any immediate family members (wife, kids). You can pay at the door or better yet send Paul Merkling, our Treasurer $10 and avoid what is sure to be a zoo at the front door.

Blue Sierra and Paul Merkling's address are both on the PSAS web site. Membership will also enable you to participate in the store discounts that Blue Sierra and other local stores offer PSAS members. If I know Jonas the owner he will stock up on a bunch of cool stuff for this event.

I hope to see you there!

Paul Hamby

One_Divided
02-07-2003, 06:13 PM
I'd like to tag along if possible wendell.. I will PM you about further plans

Mushroom Boy
02-10-2003, 01:49 AM
Howdy folks.

We're really looking forward to this meeting. It should be a great time. As Paul Hamby mentioned, if you'd like to pre-pay, you can send me a check for $10 US to:

Puget Sound Aquarium Society
1914 NE 80th St.
Seattle, WA 98115
attn: Paul Merkling

If you decide to go ahead and mail this in, please include your home street address, as well as your email address so I can add you to our mailing lists. Also, the meeting is less than 2 weeks away at this point, so I would request that you only mail dues this week. This will allow me time enough to process your dues and send you a membership card, which you'll be able to show at the door of the event to gain entry. If anyone has any questions, feel free to drop me a line. Hope to see you all there!

Paul Merkling
Treasurer, Membership Chairman, Newsletter Editor, Puget Sound Aquarium Society

EmilyB
02-10-2003, 01:57 AM
I am working on arranging a trip down with Christy. :D :shock:

Might I suggest to the Canadians to send a US postal money order instead. Sometimes, your bank will not honor cheques in US funds if they are feeling particularly nasty.........

BC_Grl
02-10-2003, 02:23 AM
Good point Em,
Also, alot of out-of-country cheques are held for at least 2 weeks to ensure that they clear. Your membership could be held until then, thus possibly missing Eric Borneman... :shock:

MtnDewMan
02-12-2003, 04:00 AM
I wouldn't worry about mailing your money if you are pressed for time. As long as you have the $10US when you get there, it will all work out fine. Just find me if you have any problems :) If you are able to get the membership cards in the mail, you will be able to get your discounts at the local stores while you are running around all day ....

Looking forward to seeing you guys down in our neck of the woods.

Canadian Man
02-12-2003, 04:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about mailing your money if you are pressed for time. As long as you have the $10US when you get there, it will all work out fine. Just find me if you have any problems :) If you are able to get the membership cards in the mail, you will be able to get your discounts at the local stores while you are running around all day ....

Nice to see you up here in our neck of the woods MTNDEWMAN.
I always enjoy your pics on RC. 8)

EmilyB
02-12-2003, 04:16 AM

We can't bring anything back...for less than a 24hr stay ..d'oh

but good to know we can look for you :D if we don't get our cards....I mailed my app today...

So does the drivers license still work (I hope?) to cross the border? Also, travel insurance is in order....I am going to call AMA.

BC_Grl
02-12-2003, 04:44 AM
So does the drivers license still work (I hope?) to cross the border?
Yes it does. I've driven across many a times when I lived in Abbotsford.

EmilyB
02-12-2003, 04:47 AM
Thanks Jeanna... :D

zulu_principle
02-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Post 911 and with the current alert, I even have trouble crossing into Pt. Roberts with only a drivers liscense.

I would bring a passport.

Wendell

GregJ
02-12-2003, 06:03 AM
I also had problems with a drivers license. I was told to bring my Canadian citizen card with me, or else they could refuse me entery

sumpfinfishe
02-12-2003, 03:07 PM
I second the passport, I'm a landed from U.K. and had a hassle because last time down for shopping I forgot it! :oops: Wendal is so right, 911 has changed the world!

Delphinus
02-12-2003, 03:35 PM
My advice is if you have a passport, bring it. Can't hurt.

You can also get a passport in a day or two if you pay the extra $20 or whatever it is, for expedited service, if you don't have a passport and want to apply for one. Yes you really can get a passport the next day. Hard to imagine, sometimes, anything in our government could move so quickly, but it's true. :lol:

EmilyB
02-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Actually, what I meant to say was 'birth certificate', not driver's license, since I'm a Canadian citizen.

Van down by the river
02-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Any other carpoolers with an open seat?

Aquattro
02-25-2003, 05:34 PM
So???? Anyone going to comment on their fieldtrip to Washington?

One_Divided
02-25-2003, 06:03 PM
'twas a fun trip. Mnt dew man and mushroom boy's tanks were awesome.. Mnt Dew man's was even more colourful than I could tell from photos.. Pretty amazing tank!

We Hit a LFS in Seattle called "Below Sea Level" They had a few nice sps pieces, but nothing too amazing..

The meeting was at a big store just outside Seattle. (can't remember the name for the life of me). I'd say there were 50-60 people, but I don't know, there may have been more.. Eric was very friendly and everyone got a chance to mingle with him before and after his talk. He a did a fantastic speach on reef couloration. It was nice to meet Kevinpo and some other reefer's I've known from RC..

christyf5
02-25-2003, 07:18 PM
The meeting was great. Eric spoke for about an hour or so about coral coloration in the wild and the protective response to UV light. It was an interesting talk and I got him to sign my book :P. The LFS the meeting was held at is called Blue Sierra and they have a great SW selection of fish and corals but the prices were about the same if not more (esp for frags) than here in Canada but in US dollars (same digits, different currency). They rented 100 chairs and it was standing room only. I figure between 110-120 people were there.

Christy :)

EmilyB
02-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Eric seemed very nice, and I also got my book signed :D

I enjoyed his talk, as well as his own tank stories. Met a few people from the other boards - it was a great time. Wish we had had more time to see more stores and tanks down there, it was a long day from 5:30AM-3:00AM :shock:

sumpfinfishe
02-26-2003, 12:30 AM
ME too please- Yes! it was a really great trip :D

I was able to show off my tank for starters-that's always a great way to start the day!

Then off to Seattle, first stop was at Chuck's house, where his amazing acropora garden is just thriving with life. His tank looks like a slice right out of the sea. I think that he could have no problem charging an entrance fee for viewers :wink: In my next setup I will try to duplicate his wonderful reef :!:

After Chuck's house, on to Paul's house to see his reef. It is a great tank with some amazing rock formations. He also had a beautiful Rose Anenome which he sold prior to our arrival :( So add me to your list Paul :wink: , as Sam's list here is far to long.

The meeting was really great :!: :D Eric was super friendly and talked with everyone. His presentation on color of corals was very interesting.The Q & A period was also very informative and everyone was able to get in at least one :?: My book was also signed :wink:

I talked with Eric after as well as before the meeting and he really liked some of my pics, so he told me that he wants to use one in his next book- :shock: that would be really 8) You should have been there Sam, he would have be blown away by some of your beautiful images :!:

I also picked up a SCWD wavemaker from Blue Sierra which I took a few snaps of and started a post yesterday. I have to say a BIG THANKS! to Jonas(manager)) for not only having the meeting at his wonderful store, but also for taking lot's of time on an already hecktic day to bring me up to speed on wavemakers :D

It was a a really great day. Spending time with fellow reefers Christy, Deb, and Adam was also very enjoyable :D Another BIG THANKS to Christy for driving down :!: The only complaint I have, was there was just not enough time in the day to see and do all that was planned. Maybe we will have to plan an overnighter in the future :idea:

The four images are Chucks reef/Pauls reef/The meeting/me and da man

http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/chucksreefA.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/paulsreefA.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/blueSi.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/autog.jpg

EmilyB
02-26-2003, 05:14 AM
Groupie, groupie, :P :P :P

http://www.members.shaw.ca/bhadford1/MeAndDaMan..jpg

MtnDewMan
02-26-2003, 06:13 AM
I came over here to see how you guys enjoyed the trip. I am very glad to see that you had a great time. Yes, definately over 90 people there I think ... A great turnout. Thanks again for coming down, it was great meeting you guys. And thanks for the very kind words about my tank ... I love the hobby and enjoy having people visit and see my tank and setup.

Samw
02-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Nice to see your post here Chuck. Does anyone have Paul's tank specs? I couldn't find it on thepsas.org. And which Paul is that? There's 2 Paul's.

sumpfinfishe
02-26-2003, 02:21 PM
G Deb if I didn't know any better I would say your blushing in that shot :wink: -maybe you could send me a snap for my reef album :D

Hey Sam, sorry i can't help you with the specs as I was too busy drooling to ask many ?'s and our visit with Chuck was kinda short and sweet.

That's Paul Merkling by the way.

Sam do you think I could come by some time soon and check out the tank, and your beautiful Rose Anenome :wink:

cheers, Rich

MtnDewMan
02-27-2003, 12:09 AM
Paul's tank is a 100 gallon acrylic tank lit by two 10000k MHs with VHO actinic and 50/50 supplementation. He has a 50 gallon sump I believe.

Yes, he does have some cool aquascaping going on in that tank.