PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the HQIs

StirCrazy
02-06-2003, 03:48 AM
Well thanks to SamW, I am able to make the results of my first HQI comparison knowen.

the two set ups will be

1, the AB 250 watt 10000K DE (HQI) in a mini pendant and powered by a IceCap HQI electronic ballast.

2, The AB 250 10000K watt SE (HQI) in a home made reflector and powered by a Advance M80 250 watt HQI ballast.

inital observations I had show the IceCap to run real cool whare my M80s can heat a small room :wink: , infact I would not have any problems mounting it against wood at all, but I would raise it just to be safe. on the down side the IceCaps restrike was found to be about 15 min whare my M80s have a restrike time of less than 5 min , I would have expected quicker for a electronic ballast.

Now for some numbers, sence there was no tank set up that we could do both ballasts on at the same time I did a all air measurment of 12"
(Just for some background notes both the AB SE and DE bulbs are HQI and tested by them selves put out almost the exact same numbers, the DE has the advantage of being able to be put into reflectors that are smaller and can focuse the light better. so the differences will be from a combanation of ballast and reflector)

IceCap set up
12" from outside of actual bulb to top of sensor = 703.92 PAR

M80 set up
12" from outside of actual bulb to top of sensor = 1071.69 PAR

I also tested mine through 5" air plus 7" of water (12" total) and got a result of 709.32 PAR

and interesting note is that if I look back to testing Brad's tank with the son agros and the Ushio 10K's I got readings of 400 PAR and 555 PAR respectivly.

I also had the opertunity to test a 250 watt radium on my Ballast thanks to Rachel and was very impressed with the results there also. first the 250 watt radium has no internal starter so you need a ballast with a starter to run it, and it is about 2/3 the length of the 250 watt AB.

the results... 655.35 PAR throught the 5" air and 7" water. (only slightly lower than the AB#'s

here are a couple comparason pics, the first is two ABs the second pic is one radium and one AB

http://members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/temppics/AB.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/temppics/radium_AB.jpg

Steve

StirCrazy
02-06-2003, 03:58 AM
Just so there is no confusion I wanted to post again.. the IceCap driven system is only putting out 66% of the light my M80 driven system is putting out.. now having said that reflectors will play a part also.

the upper hand should go to the pendent that the DE bulb was in (the IceCap set up) but I have a hunch my reflector is preforming a bit better. aside from that I still think the M80 is also producing more PAR, but the only way I would be able to tell for sure is if SamW brought over his IceCap ballast and we wired it to my bulb and reflector.

Steve

Samw
02-06-2003, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the info Steve. I am surprised to see the large difference.

StirCrazy
02-06-2003, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the info Steve. I am surprised to see the large difference.

So am I, I actualy though yours would be the higher of the two.

Steve

Delphinus
02-06-2003, 04:54 AM
Steve, which Radium do you have in your second shot? The 250W Radium or a 400W Radium?

BTW, a little off topic, but are you following the Iwasaki Aqua development at all Steve? I haven't heard any movement on that one in a couple of months but the pictures over at www.coralreefecosystems.com sure look keen.

Canadian Man
02-06-2003, 04:57 AM
Great Info!
Thanks Steve 8)

StirCrazy
02-06-2003, 04:59 AM
Steve, which Radium do you have in your second shot? The 250W Radium or a 400W Radium?

BTW, a little off topic, but are you following the Iwasaki Aqua development at all Steve? I haven't heard any movement on that one in a couple of months but the pictures over at www.coralreefecosystems.com sure look keen.

thats the 250 watt Radium on the HQI ballast.

IS the Iwasaki Aqua a real thing? I thought that was just hopes and pipe dreams :wink: I honestly can't see them making a big rush to do it as ther aquarium trade is a very very small part of the EYE family, about 95% of there consumers are happy the way it makes there plants green :wink:

Steve

Delphinus
02-06-2003, 05:05 AM
From what I understand, it is a real thing, since they're available "down under" but exactly what "thing" it is I cannot seem to find. If this 400W Aqua is just a monochromatic blue, then it's really nothing all that special and a person can use monochromatic blue Venture bulbs for probably a lot less hassle. The last info I heard was that Steve Ruddy was doing some testing and he promised to post results in January ... it's ... uh ... February now so that makes me wonder that he didn't really find it was all that spectacular a revelation. Who knows though.

I know you have posted this info long ago, but .... can you explain to me what you're using to measure PAR, what tool and etc.? Was it a considerable investment to buy the equipment?

StirCrazy
02-06-2003, 05:25 AM
I know you have posted this info long ago, but .... can you explain to me what you're using to measure PAR, what tool and etc.? Was it a considerable investment to buy the equipment?

I am using a PAR sensor that translates tha amount of PAR into a voltage, to read this I am using a digital multimeter. I am probably pushing about 350ish for thoes two (like I said befor I could have bought a lighting system for what i paid for all my testing equipment LOL

Steve

stephane
02-07-2003, 01:47 PM
when you compare hushio and the AB did both bulb was new? Have you let them break up?

StirCrazy
02-07-2003, 08:36 PM
when you compare hushio and the AB did both bulb was new? Have you let them break up?

I never compared the Ushio against a AB, the Ushio numbers were from a 400 watt set up that was broke in well, the AB's are 250 watt bulbs that are also broke in. I compared the 250 watt radium against the 250 watt AB.

Steve