PDA

View Full Version : 65g tank...fuzzy dwarf?

Keri
01-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Hi there, I have just set up a new 65g tank (with LR and LS) and am thinking about possible fish for it...I would like to keep some soft corals as well. I am thinking about a fuzzy dwarf lionfish (I know there is a thread called "ideal predator fish" that started off simmilarily to this, but never really answered the question of tankmates for a FDL)
1)Has anyone had any experience with them and maybe a large clown? I know they will eat anything that fits into their (rather large) mouths, but I don't want to get anything that will be too agressive with them either.
2) I know they will eat shrimp, but what about a cleanup crew including hermits?
3) any other suggestions?
All info is much appreciated!!:biggrin:

edit: I know even with the LR and LS it will be weeks before I begin to add fish, just doing my research now

fishoholic
01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Good to hear your doing your research first. I don't know much about lion fish but I do know that a friend of mine keeps one with a large tomato clown fish and as far as I know they haven't had any problems.

Coldwater
01-01-2008, 07:48 PM
I have my Fuzzy in a 75 gallon and he was happy till the end of his life. One day he just stopped eating... only him everything else was fine. I really enjoyed him though although they seem a little stubborn. It never looked at my hermit crabs so I would say no to them eating clean up crew. Hope that kinda helps. On a side note Ball pythons rule eh?

Matt

justinl
01-01-2008, 08:13 PM
1)Has anyone had any experience with them and maybe a large clown? I know they will eat anything that fits into their (rather large) mouths, but I don't want to get anything that will be too agressive with them either.
2) I know they will eat shrimp, but what about a cleanup crew including hermits?
3) any other suggestions?

this should answer most lion related questions that pop up. a bit long, but give the whole thing a read. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

lions are classed as "aggressive" but they are actually quite mellow as far as predators go. avoid fin nippers (like puffers), and anything known to be overly aggressive (like clown triggers).

i would avoid hermits myself in a lion tank. the chance a lion eats a hermit is very slim, but a lion's first instinct is to swallow anything small enough that moves. if it tries a hermit, it would have to regurgitate the thing. if it cant manage that, then the lion is done for. snails would be a better choice for CUC.

mark
01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Not to hijack but heard they're reef (coral) safe, realizing they are from the ocean but can they handle the flow we often try for in a SPS tank (my case 30+ turn over)?

Keri
01-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Good to hear your doing your research first. I don't know much about lion fish but I do know that a friend of mine keeps one with a large tomato clown fish and as far as I know they haven't had any problems.

Good to know! I'd really like a larger clown

Keri
01-02-2008, 07:11 AM
I have my Fuzzy in a 75 gallon and he was happy till the end of his life. One day he just stopped eating... only him everything else was fine. I really enjoyed him though although they seem a little stubborn. It never looked at my hermit crabs so I would say no to them eating clean up crew. Hope that kinda helps. On a side note Ball pythons rule eh?

Matt

Thank you for the info, If I end up with a fuzzy I will monitor it closely with the hermits...and if one becomes lunch then it's all the more reason to get a refugium!
And yeah, I do love my balls, lol, we have several of them, they're my favorite little constrictors, you have one?

Keri
01-02-2008, 07:13 AM
this should answer most lion related questions that pop up. a bit long, but give the whole thing a read. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

lions are classed as "aggressive" but they are actually quite mellow as far as predators go. avoid fin nippers (like puffers), and anything known to be overly aggressive (like clown triggers).

i would avoid hermits myself in a lion tank. the chance a lion eats a hermit is very slim, but a lion's first instinct is to swallow anything small enough that moves. if it tries a hermit, it would have to regurgitate the thing. if it cant manage that, then the lion is done for. snails would be a better choice for CUC.

Thank-you, I will read the thread...and as I'd really like to get a refugium anyhow and only have a couple of hermits maybe I'll just put them in there, I wouldn't want the fuzzy to choke or the crabs to be choked-upon (doesn't seem fun ;)
I don't really want anything else agressive in there, just another maybe 1, 2 or 3 fish that are big enough not to be eaten but not too big that they wouldn't be happy in a 65. (the dimensions are 36w x 18w x 24h, I think)
Thanks everyone for the info!

Keri
01-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Not to hijack but heard they're reef (coral) safe, realizing they are from the ocean but can they handle the flow we often try for in a SPS tank (my case 30+ turn over)?

You're not hijacking :) I'd like to know this as well, I have a lot of flow as well (with some quieter areas)

EmilyB
01-02-2008, 07:39 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DwarfLion.JPG

One of my most favorite fish. I actually caught a picture of him lure fishing and sent it to Frank Marini, he had never seen that before. He'll stalk anything that moves. But man, is he awesome.

asherah
01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
hey I hae a ball python ! and some day i'll hae a lion

asherah

Keri
01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
hey I hae a ball python ! and some day i'll hae a lion

asherah

^^It's only logical :lol:

and Nice pic EmilyB, he's really cute!