PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back fish on Air Canada - a question

trilinearmipmap
12-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Lately I read that Air Canada has changed its rules on shipping of pets. You can no longer bring live animals as part of your checked luggage but you have to ship it through Air Canada cargo and pay them a shipping fee. I think this is aimed at people who want to bring dogs, cats etc. after a recent fiasco where some dogs were in the cargo hold and froze to death or something like that.

For years I have brought back fish and corals from Vancouver as checked luggage in an insulated packing box and had no problems. But I have not done this in the past few months since the new rules came into effect. I used to bring back fish in a plastic bag in my carry-on luggage until the 9-11 rules about liquids on planes came into effect.

So this is a question for anybody else who has brought back live fish in checked luggage. Did Air Canada let you do this or did they stick to their "no pets in checked luggage" rule?

Nicole8ca
12-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Did you call the airline? I think the rule is actually no "Kennels" in checked lugguge. I personally have not travelled with any fish or corals, but your best bet to sort through the red tape is just to call them and ask them.

trilinearmipmap
12-31-2007, 11:05 PM
I haven't called Air Canada because I have found from experience that I can not rely on them. Unfortunately I am forced by circumstance (small town) to fly on this airline. They have screwed up so many things that I don't believe anything they tell me. If I get an Air Canada representative on the phone he will either not know the answer, tell me the wrong answer, or make up an answer just to get rid of me. That is why I want people's own experiences before I risk buying some fish and seeing whether it makes it home with me or not.

Ephraim
12-31-2007, 11:34 PM
i just had to leave a a box of fish at the Winnipeg ariport a couple weeks ago. No fish anymore. From now on i'm not telling them there is fish in the box.

Keri
01-01-2008, 12:50 AM
I haven't called Air Canada because I have found from experience that I can not rely on them. Unfortunately I am forced by circumstance (small town) to fly on this airline. They have screwed up so many things that I don't believe anything they tell me. If I get an Air Canada representative on the phone he will either not know the answer, tell me the wrong answer, or make up an answer just to get rid of me. That is why I want people's own experiences before I risk buying some fish and seeing whether it makes it home with me or not.

Do NOT trust Air canada on the phone!!
I had called ahead about bringing reptiles (a non-venomous snake) on board, was told it would be ok as long as I paid the $60 surcharge and he was in a secure cage, ok, fine...so I get there only to have the xray ppl Freak Out on me when I tell them what it is and I am Absolutely not allowed to bring him on board (an 18" ball python, no threat to anything) I lucked ouyt in finding a security guard who would keep him for me for a couple of weeks. Because of this I would ask for something in writing maybe on your ticket about bringing a box of live fish or corals, you don't want to get stranded.

trilinearmipmap
01-01-2008, 03:56 PM
OK I have e-mailed Air Canada and I will see if their reply makes any sense, I am expecting a form letter shutting me down. Seems like a good way for them to charge more for shipping "freight". If only WestJet flew to my town.

Here is my e-mail to Air Canada and I will post their reply if I receive one.

Customer (xxxxxxx xxxxxxx) - 01/01/2008 11:51 AM
I have read that Air Canada no longer accepts pets as checked luggage.

For many years I have brought live aquarium fish and live corals back from Vancouver to Prince Rupert as checked luggage on Air Canada. These fish and corals are kept in waterproof containers inside an insulated shipping box.

I would like to know if I am able to bring an insulated container containing live fish or corals back as checked luggage on Air Canada.

I understand the reasons behind your "no pets" policy, but since live fish and corals require no care during the flight and can survive 48 hours in transit, and temperature is not an issue due to the insulated container, and luggage space is not an issue as the checked container simply replaces one of my normal two pieces of checked luggage, l hope Air Canada will allow these items as checked luggage.

Regards,

xxxxxxx xxxxxxx

Question Reference #xxxxxx-xxxxxx

justinl
01-01-2008, 04:55 PM
eh, i have little faith in the reliability of airlines in this matter. i know people have had success by mailing the livestock to themselves over the border and then just meeting the package at home.

Slipstream
01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Heres hoping they decide that they wanna KEEP customers instead of losing more.. :lol:

Nicole8ca
01-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Hmm, I'll be curious to know the answer. You're allowed to bring seafood for consumption....

trilinearmipmap
01-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Hmm, I'll be curious to know the answer. You're allowed to bring seafood for consumption....

Are you allowed to bring back live seafood for consumption such as lobsters?

Nicole8ca
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Here's what their website says. It doesn't specify live or cooked.

Seafood (brine)
Brine spillage from fish and seafood is corrosive. Lobsters, mussels, oysters etc. must be packaged in leak proof containers and then be packed in plastic bags inside *waxed* cartons. Perishable items require that a limited release form be signed at check-in.

mildcustom2
01-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I travel all over the world with Air Canada for work quite a bit. 60,000 miles a year by plane. When ever I go to halifax I always buy a case of lobster at the airport to bring back. They pack it in a styro box lined with news paper wich is then placed in a plastic bag then in a box. I have taken small boxes with me on the plane (carry on) and bigger boxes I check in. I have never signed a perishable goods release form and have never been questioned about it because everyone does it. All you see is people walking through the airport with their lobster.

I don't see why it would be a problem taking fish back as long as they are packed correctly ( until one bad egg ruins it for everyone ). Just the other week there was a lady in Ocean Aquatics having 2 boxes of fish and sps corals packed to take back with her to the east coast. From my understanding she was traveling Air Canada. Keeping in mind and they probably will not admit it but those travelling Executive or are Air Canada Elite, Super Elite members do get preferential treatment.

kat
01-01-2008, 11:20 PM
i just brought a large shipping box from vancouver to halifax via WestJet and didn't have any issues. See if they can handle your flight.

trilinearmipmap
01-01-2008, 11:30 PM
i just brought a large shipping box from vancouver to halifax via WestJet and didn't have any issues. See if they can handle your flight.

If WestJet flew to Prince Rupert I would never fly Air Canada again. The two WestJet flights I have been on in the past have been excellent, on time, good service, clean comfortable planes. Unfortunately it will take 5 to 10 years before WestJet becomes the dominant airline in Canada and drives Air Canada into bankruptcy.

Slipstream
01-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Youd be surprised, i think they said that they had a 180% increase in passenger volume last year.. They added something like 200 extra flights, to 10 new destinations, wouldnt be surprised if they fly to Rupert regularly some time this year.

trilinearmipmap
01-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Youd be surprised, i think they said that they had a 180% increase in passenger volume last year.. They added something like 200 extra flights, to 10 new destinations, wouldnt be surprised if they fly to Rupert regularly some time this year.

Actually their business model makes them stick to one aircraft (737) and an aircraft of this size needs to service a town that has enough population to fill the seats. So unless they change their business model, they won't fly to all one-horse towns out in the middle of nowhere.

trilinearmipmap
01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
As predicted here is my inane response from Air Canada including the requisite cut-and-paste platitudes:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email outlining your concerns regarding our recent decision to no longer accept pets as checked baggage.

We review all our policies, procedures and services on a regular basis to ensure that our product offering responds to customer demand while keeping pace with industry standards and economic realities.

As you are aware, effective July 15, 2007, we will no longer accept pets as checked baggage, this policy applies to live fish as well.

You may still transport your fish through Air Canada Cargo, who have a specialized “live animal travel” program and are able to plan the best flights for your fish to travel on. More information is available at: http://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/services/ac_live.html

Sincerely,

xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
Customer Relations

Slipstream
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
We should all start sending them messages of how we are very dissapointed in them, and how we arent going to fly with them anymore.. LOL

Nicole8ca
01-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Well I'm not going to fly with them regardless, but I'll definately send an email for kicks.

Did you ask about corals in your email or did you specify fish? I can't help but notice they didn't address corals.

trilinearmipmap
01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I thought I would ask them if it was OK to bring live lobster, if they say yes, then how can they refuse other live inverts or fish, especially if we claim we are going to eat them.

Slipstream
01-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Its messed up, but thats Air Canada, so its almost expected. :lol: