PDA

View Full Version : Which one should I get?

sharuq1
12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
I have the possible opportunity to either get a

Coralife Aqualight Pro 36" HQI

or

x2--Reef Optix III pedant for HQI 250W bulbs with IceCap 250W Electronic Ballast

This will be for my 36" bow tank, which holds either 46g or 48g of water. Little help please on choosing what to buy? Or would you do something different all-together? I want to be able to put in mixed corals and possibly a couple of clams as well. Money is a factor.

Thanks for your help and advice canreefers!!!

i have crabs
12-31-2007, 08:55 PM
with the coralife you probably wont be able to keep clams without issues but 2x250w might boil your water.
the coralife would be able to keep almost everything except sps & clams and has antics and moonlights so its a nice package

mark
12-31-2007, 09:19 PM
When I was looking into MHs, everything with the Optix III pendant was good.

Guess though with the Coralife you have the built in ability to run actinics and some of them have 250W MH.

scumchug
12-31-2007, 10:00 PM
I ran 3 X 150 watt MH on the same tank. Heat was a major issue. When the lights came on, the chiller would follow about 3 minutes later. Even with 2 150's heat was a concern. Running 2 X 250's, your going to need a chiller, without a doubt.

skylord
12-31-2007, 10:59 PM
To many unknownes...sump or not? Type of pumps...will the tank be in a basement? But....I would still choose the 2 pendants over the Corolife. The reason....you can always shut one of the pendants off on those days where heat is an issue. On a 36" tank I would probably try one 250 pendant with a couple of HO T5's. Less heat and good light combo IMO.

Scott

albert_dao
01-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Skip those. Give me a call at the store before Wed :D

Renegade
01-01-2008, 12:44 AM
I disagree about the need for a chiller with properly place fans and a proper auto-top off system heat should not be a major concern. Not enough to make me not get them anyways. i think there are many steps that can be taken to reduce heat from MH without the need for a chiller.

scumchug
01-01-2008, 01:21 AM
I disagree about the need for a chiller with properly place fans and a proper auto-top off system heat should not be a major concern. Not enough to make me not get them anyways. i think there are many steps that can be taken to reduce heat from MH without the need for a chiller.

LMAO. Thats the same thing I thought. My house is air conditioned and I still had problems. When the lights came on, the tank temp would climb at about one degree A minute. It doesn't matter how many fans you have, It can't compete with that.

Myka
01-01-2008, 01:24 AM
Personally, I wouldn't spend money on any Coralife product. Cheap crap. It breaks - A LOT. So of those two you listed, I would go with the pendants.

I have a 36" tank that I am figuring a lighting setup for as well. What I have decided on (unless someone changes my mind with info I haven't found yet...lol) is a single 400w XM 10K bulb (~$90) run by a PFO HQI ballast (~$215). This combination is one of the highest PAR ratings you can get. I'm going to put that bulb into a Lumenarc III reflector (~$160). The reflector is a pendant that is a huge 19x19", and fugly as hell, BUT it is better at evenly spreading the light across a larger area without losing as much PAR in the spread than any other reflector (that I've found).

I have researched my information from Sanjay's Reef Lighting: http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/ As well, I've been doing a lot of searches on different forums, and come to the conclusion that this lighting combination should spread across the 36" length sufficiently. However, if you plan to keep a 100% SPS tank, then I doubt you could get away with one light. I have LPS that I can place on each side of the tank where the light isn't as strong, but will be quite sufficient for LPS.

What are your coral plans?

sharuq1
01-03-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't have a sump nor a chiller nor an auto top off unit (wish I had one though). Basically this tank is going to have to be ghetto. Corals that for sure will go in once params are stable and I have a light are: toadstool, frogspawn, hammer, rics, gsp, m. digitata, mushrooms and candy cane; I realise those are mostly lower light needing, but I would like to be able to diversify.

I would still like the option to put in a clam at some point if possible. I am really having trouble deciding what to get. Help very much appreciated especially if it is a specific light you recommend.

Side note to Albert: Could not get to Calgary and for me it is not worth the drive if I don't know what I will be looking at (vehicle is a MAJOR gas guzzler); so if you have any fixtures that would work show me some catologue-like pics with prices or something so I have an idea before I go.

albert_dao
01-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Can you PM me your phone number? I talk faster and more elaborately than I type :P

Myka
01-04-2008, 03:22 AM
I don't have a sump nor a chiller nor an auto top off unit (wish I had one though). Basically this tank is going to have to be ghetto. Corals that for sure will go in once params are stable and I have a light are: toadstool, frogspawn, hammer, rics, gsp, m. digitata, mushrooms and candy cane; I realise those are mostly lower light needing, but I would like to be able to diversify.

I would still like the option to put in a clam at some point if possible. I am really having trouble deciding what to get. Help very much appreciated especially if it is a specific light you recommend.

Considering heat will bea serious issue for you I would recommend you go with T5s. Your tank is a bit deep, but as long as you keep good water quality and specifically clarity (run carbon) you should be ok. All those corals would be quite happy undr T5 lighting, and if you get a clam you can always make a little shelf out of liverock that you can then put a mini sandbed on, and put the clam on that. I have seen that work well. Also some clams like to be right on the rocks anyway.

So I'd recommend the Sunlight Supply Tek T5 4-bulb unit. I think the 6 bulb unit would be too wide for your tank. It runs WAAAY cooler than Metal Halides. You need to replace bulbs a bit more often - about every 8 months. With the 4 bulbs, I'd try a combination of two URI (UVL) AquaSun, one Giesemann AquaBlue+, and one Giesemann Pure Actinic. Should give you a nice color.

Fixture: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=sl-t5tl3604
Giesemann bulbs: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/category-info.php?category_ID=378
URI bulbs: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/category-info.php?category_ID=379

sharuq1
01-05-2008, 03:13 AM
So from the sounds of it, it is recommended I go t5 and not mH? Keep your opinions coming, I want to do this right the first time and not be kicking myself in several months.

Myka
01-05-2008, 03:43 AM
The only reason I could think of that you might end up wishing you went MH is if you started to fancy the SPS corals. Otherwise, I think T5s are better suited to the needs that you listed. :)

Slick Fork
01-05-2008, 06:33 AM
There is no reason whatsoever that SPS cannot do well with t5 lighting. If you have doubts, search RC for the many many pictures of sps dominated reefs with nothing but T5 lighting over top.

The issue you'll have with MH's on a 36" tank is that 1 bulb isn't quite enough and 2 is probably a little too much in terms of coverage. The t-5 fixture will give you much more versatility in a smaller package. I have a 36" teklight that I'm going to put over my 33 gallon and am quite pleased with it.

sharuq1
01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Ok you have sold me on the t5 fixture, now all I need to do is find one to buy. If anyone finds a deal links dropped on this thread would be very appreciated.

Thank you so much for all the advice.

Myka
01-05-2008, 06:32 PM
You just missed the Boxing Day sales!!! One of the guys on here had Tek fixtures on sale for 20% off. I'll go find a link to that thread...maybe he'll still sell to you at that price...?

Also, the Aquactinics brand is really good as well. They do odd bulb sizes, but I think their smallest is 5 bulbs and that would be too wide for your tank. Someone feel free to correct me on that. ;)

There is no reason whatsoever that SPS cannot do well with t5 lighting. If you have doubts, search RC for the many many pictures of sps dominated reefs with nothing but T5 lighting over top.

I have SPS doing well under T5, but it's pretty easy to say that MH lighting is better for novice SPS reefers.

EDIT: Here's the link for the 20% off Sunlight Supply (Tek) fixtures. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38108