PDA

View Full Version : Mag 18 cavatating?

banditpowdercoat
12-31-2007, 01:08 PM
OK, testing my tank again. Little different design. I put the MAG 1800in the overflow, and made a true closed loop with the header. Then, I am using the canister fro the filter. No spinge or nothing, most likely UV sterilizer or rubble in there. But anyways, testing the sys with freshwater. Mag is kinds noisy. Rattling sound and a ton of microbubbles with it running. Like its cavitating?!?. Is that possible? How long before the water clears itself of the bubbles that cling to the sides of the glass, etc? There is only a 1/2" drop over my overflow so bubbles are not being introdiced that way. The pump is set up with 18" of 3/4" hose to the manifold. No real head pressure either. Gets good flow/circulation :D

andresont
12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
I used Mag pumps myself for long time and they are very reliable, however noise was always present.
It will quiet down somewhat in a few weeks when slime grow on the inner parts and impeller.
Also you can use some sort of "niose dumper" like rubber foam or try to suspend it (Mag18 is very heavy though), i use to suspend Mag9.
Eheim is pump of my choice now, just because they a lot more quiet.

Bubles will clear up as well when bacteria slime grows on tank panels.
Unless you have air coming from somwhere else.

banditpowdercoat
12-31-2007, 04:02 PM
ok thx The mag in question is the one i got from you. If you had no issues then i give it time' no air gettibg into pump that i can

andresont
12-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh, sorry didn't pay attantion to the name.:)
yes give it some time to quiet down, also hard piping will transfer vibes up to the stand/tank, i had it on flex pipe on the output and rubber foam under that came with the pump.
I Used to drive ETS 700 skimmer with this Mag18.

banditpowdercoat
12-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Cool, Ya its flex line to manifold, but pump is inside display tank acctually. Inside the overflow. So maybe thats makin it sound louder LOL

andresont
12-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Cool, Ya its flex line to manifold, but pump is inside display tank acctually. Inside the overflow. So maybe thats makin it sound louder LOL

Wow ! Mag 18 inside the over flow... there are truly no tank is the same!
You got me thinking now .. how long is the intake pipe ? Could it cavitie because of lack of supply water?

banditpowdercoat
12-31-2007, 11:37 PM
The intake is the stock thing that you had on. The pump is restng on bottom of tank on the foam that you had on. Overflow is approx 20" high with 1/2" drop in water. I'll try to upload a vid for the noise.

andresont
12-31-2007, 11:49 PM
that sounds ok if you have only strainer on intake and there is enough water on top of the pump to get enough flow to the intake you will be fine.
let it run in salt water to develop bucterial film this will quiet it down.

banditpowdercoat
01-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Whoo, gota love youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6KfM32xBxQ