PDA

View Full Version : What's ideal phosphate level?

eWarren
12-31-2007, 05:45 AM
Can someone tell me what's ideal phosphate level? If the reading is too high or low how will this affect soft coral, LPL and fish? Thanks. :confused:

scumchug
12-31-2007, 05:51 AM
Can someone tell me what's ideal phosphate level? If the reading is too high or low how will this affect soft coral, LPL and fish? Thanks. :confused:

The ideal phosphate level for a conventional test kit is 0. If you can detect it, its to high. Coral does need phosphate to grow, but very little. ..

mark
12-31-2007, 05:54 AM
<0.03, common problem think of it as a fertilizer for algae.

Here's a good article that sort of explains many of the parameters we test for and what levels to try to maintain them at.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

eWarren
12-31-2007, 05:58 AM
I just got the test kit yesterday and did a reading. The reading is above 1.

The same test kit allow me to measure between 1 to 5 as well, but to do so, I need to use distill water which I don't have so I did not continue testing.

So, what should I do now since the level is high? :sad:

dsaundry
12-31-2007, 05:59 AM
One thing I learned today is that even if your phosphate level in your water reads 0, if you have live rock it can also be absorbed into that as well. Will promote hair algae growth. Thanks to the guys at j+l for that info. There are several things he advised for that, one of them being a product called ROWA phos. I have a minor hair algae issue in my tank and am going to give it a try. One more hint they gave me. If you do have a phosphate issue that creates a hair algae problem , try a Sea Hare. Apparently they are supposed to be good at getting rid of it. Thanks to j+l again for that info. Dont forget the regular rules as well. Regular water changes and dont overfeed..{my problem]

eWarren
12-31-2007, 06:18 AM
Mark, thanks for the "Reef Keeping site info". One way, it says, to reduce the level is to use lime water.

What is limewater? Where can I get it?

mark
12-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Kalkwasser = limewater

Another article (has section with limewater and phosphate)

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Pan
12-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Mark, thanks for the "Reef Keeping site info". One way, it says, to reduce the level is to use lime water.

What is limewater? Where can I get it?

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21984

Myka
12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Run a phosphate absorbing material. Since your phosphate is fairly high I would suggest you use a phosphate media that isn't very good (Aluminum oxide), like the SeaChem PhosGuard. Buy the smallest container. It will lower the phosphate slower to prevent shocking your tank, and save your wallet on the good stuff. Change it out once a week, and when it's all gone buy some of the good stuff. Most of the phosphate medias that are brownish red are good; they are ferric oxide. They do not need to be changed nearly as often. Say 1-2 months, although you will use it up quicker in the beginning. Use your test kit to track our progress. :)