PDA

View Full Version : WTB Pods

michika
12-30-2007, 03:42 PM
My system is devoid of pods and I feel I should begin to repopulate it. I would like to buy either macro algae teeming with pods, or live pods from a store.

digital-audiophile
12-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Colby at Elite said he was going to start bringing in those bottled live pods. I am not sure if he has yet though.

jasond
12-30-2007, 04:07 PM
I would also like to get my hands on some, but have not heard of anywhere locally that sells them. I have never bought them before, but would like to give it a shot.

michika
12-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I've never had to buy them before either, and since I'm new to Calgary I haven't a clue where to even start looking.

I try Elite and see if they are in fact carrying them.

jasond
12-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Sounds good, if you find some let me know and I will do the same!

I have my light for my fuge coming from J&L so I will be ready for some chaeto soon, dont know where I am going to get it from either!!!

Der_Iron_Chef
12-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Catherine:

You can also just shoot Colby a PM instead of trundling down to Elite and potentially wasting a trip! His user ID on here is little_c.

Myka
12-30-2007, 11:32 PM
If you start a couple times weekly dosing a small amount of DT's Live Phytoplankton your pod population will explode. Be careful not to overdose and pollute your tank. If you start growing nuisance algaes, then you are dosing too much.

jasond
12-31-2007, 02:32 AM
Damn, and I just made my order to J&l's! Thanks for the tip, I might try to find some in town and give it a shot!

Thanks!

Myka
12-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Make sure you buy the DT's brand...other brands don't even compare. J&L has to send it in a separate styrofoam box with ice packs as needs to stay refridgerated.

michika
12-31-2007, 03:27 AM
If you start a couple times weekly dosing a small amount of DT's Live Phytoplankton your pod population will explode. Be careful not to overdose and pollute your tank. If you start growing nuisance algaes, then you are dosing too much.

I actually need the pods themselves, as I stated in my original post I no longer have an existing population.

DTs is an okay brand, but the die off is tremendous. If you want a good phyto try growing your own from a starter kit from a reputable company such as Florida Aquaculture Farms.

Myka
12-31-2007, 04:40 AM
I actually need the pods themselves, as I stated in my original post I no longer have an existing population.

DTs is an okay brand, but the die off is tremendous. If you want a good phyto try growing your own from a starter kit from a reputable company such as Florida Aquaculture Farms.

You've got to have some pods in your tank...??? I don't think I've ever seen a tank that didn't have any pods. LOL...not many people actually want to grow their own phyto. It's a pain in the butt, but ya it's the best option. From my research and experience, there isn't any better brand of bottled phyto than DT's...what do you suggest?

michika
12-31-2007, 04:45 AM
Your taking my thread off topic...however I have used DTs and personally I feel that Reefcrew offers a superior product when found fresh.

I haven't seen pods in my tank since early December, therefore I have concluded that the population has either died off, or there are too few remaining pods to re-seed the population.

Back to the original topic at hand, is there anywhere else in Calgary that I can purchase pods. Or does anyone local have macro algae full of pods to sell?

Der_Iron_Chef
12-31-2007, 04:48 AM
Catherine, I've bought macro from Greg/Snappy in the past. Might try shooting a PM his way. I'm SURE his refugium is loaded with pods :)

michika
12-31-2007, 04:49 AM
Thanks! I'll definitely do that too.

Myka
12-31-2007, 04:52 AM
Your taking my thread off topic...

Woo! Yes, Your Highness. *bows* lol

Not sure if you meant it to come out that way or not...? ;)

michika
12-31-2007, 04:55 AM
Woo! Yes, Your Highness. *bows* lol

Not sure if you meant it to come out that way or not...? ;)

That was terribly rude, and offensive. Please stop commenting in my thread since you have nothing productive to contribute.

Myka
12-31-2007, 04:58 AM
That was terribly rude, and offensive. Please stop commenting in my thread since you have nothing productive to contribute.

What you said was rude, hence my rebuttal. I did contribute something productive. I did suggest you try using some DT's. I noticed my pod population DIVE when I quit feeding DT's. When you do buy a bunch of pods you may want to think about feeding them as well otherwise they may not be able to reproduce fast enough to keep a population. There...I contributed even more. ;) AND I'm even helping you out in your engineering thread.

Smile...it ain't that bad.

michika
12-31-2007, 04:18 PM
I asked you to keep the thread on topic and I explained why I wanted pods. I was not rude, you were the one who felt the need to bring in childish comments.

You are clearly not reading what I write as I have mentioned twice now that I have no existing pod population which makes your idea of supplimenting with phyto null and void.

I have nothing more to say to you.

Jason McK
12-31-2007, 04:35 PM
OA sells Tiger Pods (http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/381/Tigger-Pods/). I have purchased them often and find they help in population regen well. You do need to aclimate them
Sorry I don't know of a Calgary supply
J

michika
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks Jason,

I think that is the product I may go with. Do you usually just use one bottle at a time?

digital-audiophile
12-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Catherine, if you place an order with OA you should buy a few bottles as I'm sure you could sell a few off to other Calgarians :)

justinl
12-31-2007, 05:46 PM
FWIW, i dont know if we're talking about the same pods or not, but if you're buying pods that are kept refrigerated in a bottle, it will not be a permanent solution. these are a cold water variety (hence the refrigeration) and wont survive long in a warm water tank. if you want a permanent population i suggest going the route of the locally bought pod infested macroalgae. there's also some "pod housing" plans around the net which are basically in tank refugiums.

Duffer2
12-31-2007, 06:10 PM
I have lots of Cheato that's got a fair number of Pods you can have for free. I also have an area in my overflow system that at any given time I can count 30-40 pods that I can easily siphon into a bucket. I'm not sure that counts as teeming but it's your's if you want it. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

michika
12-31-2007, 06:14 PM
I wasn't aware the tiger pods were the refrigerated variety. I need something to re-seed my own population. I want this to be a long term solution. Not a repeating process. Do you know of pods that can be purchased that are the appropriate variety?

I've send out a couple PMs to people who may have some macro algae to sell.

michika
12-31-2007, 09:25 PM
I have lots of Cheato that's got a fair number of Pods you can have for free. I also have an area in my overflow system that at any given time I can count 30-40 pods that I can easily siphon into a bucket. I'm not sure that counts as teeming but it's your's if you want it. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I'm definitely interested. I'll send you a PM later, probably on Wednesday when I'm home.

andresont
12-31-2007, 09:52 PM
FWIW, i dont know if we're talking about the same pods or not, but if you're buying pods that are kept refrigerated in a bottle, it will not be a permanent solution. these are a cold water variety (hence the refrigeration) and wont survive long in a warm water tank. if you want a permanent population i suggest going the route of the locally bought pod infested macroalgae. there's also some "pod housing" plans around the net which are basically in tank refugiums.

i second that,
I tried few times now and these tigers will not last :(

Jason McK
12-31-2007, 10:01 PM
That is in direct contrast of the supplier Reef Nutrition (http://www.reefnutrition.com/tiggerpods/more_about_tp.htm#tiggerpodscare) Also a quote for OA web site
"Tigriopus californicus is a very large (250-2500 micron) harpacticoid copepod that ranges from Alaska to Baja California. T. californicus is a very hearty copepod that can tolerate wide ranges in temperature (10-35°C) and salinity (10-100 ppt). T. californicus eats microscopic algae, protists, bacteria, diatoms, algae and microbes (McGroarty 1958). The T. Californium’ life cycle has 14 stages, and can live from 50-100 days.

How to care for your Tigriopus:

Grows best in conditions where temperatures are between 25-30 °C, and salinity is 32-38 ppt.
Do not overfeed! Maintain Tigriopus in light/cloudy phytoplankton conditions using Phyto-feast *LIVE*.
Needs little to no aeration. If using air, bubbles should be 1-3 mm at 1-2 per second."

I do know that stock turn over is a big problem as demand is low. You need to get them as soon as they come in or at least know when they came in

J

andresont
12-31-2007, 10:08 PM
I love these guys so much that i am willing to give it another try.
However i am not up to setting up a phyto plancton feeding station, i would prefer them multiply naturally in the tank/sump, but hey, i can't tell them what to do can i ?

As long as they are in the bottle outside the tank (Last time i aclimatized for long time ) they are fine swimming in like "jerk"ing motion LOL
But as soon as i let them go in the tank they die off.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38025&page=2&highlight=tiger+pods

may be flow is an issue because i have like 90x tirn over and this is not counting the wavebox.
As soon as i set up a sump i will try again.