PDA

View Full Version : Herbie splashing

digital-audiophile
12-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Let me say I wish I had tracked down a gate valve, dialing this thing in with a ball valve is a pain in the old butt!

Because of the returns limiting the height of my emergency overflow the water drops about 4" to the water line. I am getting a little bit of splashing noise but nothing too horrible, since this is my first time with a herbie is this normal? or am I/did I do something wrong?

Static
12-30-2007, 01:36 AM
I have the same problem, and i just put a pvc extension on my emergency overflow, so that I can raise the water level and only have 1 inch of fall.

is there anyway you can raise/extend your secondary overflow line?

And I agree very much with you about trying to make fine adjustments with a ball valve. It's nearly impossible to get it just perfect.

Myles

Chin_Lee
12-30-2007, 02:36 AM
herbie method is almost impossible with a gate valve. the increments for the change in flow is ever so slight that the ball valve cannot achieve this; a slight turn in the ball valve is a already few degrees.

fkshiu
12-30-2007, 03:36 AM
You almost have to have a gate with a Herbie overflow.

I find that having the water exit just below the water level in the sump helps splashing. Also, having just a trickle going down the emergency overflow line greatly reduces the amount of fiddling you have to do.

Skimmin
12-30-2007, 04:04 AM
I hear you there. I went and spent a bunch of $$$ on true union ball valves to find out they SUCK for Herbies. I have 1 1/2" drains so the valves were about $50 each! Oh well you live, you learn. One day I'll swallow my pride and cut out these pain in the but ball valves.:smile:

jasond
12-30-2007, 06:50 AM
Hey Greg, I found the exact same when I started with my new tank & herbie overflow. I eventually got it so it would just spill into the emergency overflow every now and then without much noise, and was fine with that. There are no gate valves in Calgary that I could find, only J&L and Ocean aquatics.

I am fine with the ball valve now. What I did is once I had it a place that worked well, I made a little line with a pen/marker. Now when I need to close it for mtc or whatever, I have a rough idea of where it should be.

Anyways hope that helps. Would have been nice to have started with a gate valve, but atleast I will know for next time!

Cheers,

Jason

albert_dao
12-30-2007, 09:31 AM
:( Takes me ten minutes to adjust a Herbie with a BV....

Tip: Use two hands.

digital-audiophile
12-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I've got it close, much like Jason I have it so it just starts to spill into the emergency line. I would have went higher on the emergency line but I have Albert's kick *** anti syphon pretzel on the return and it takes up a bit of space in the overflow box.

As mentioned PVC gates are impossible to find in Calgary. I'm almost tempted to by a crate of them online and sell them on Canreef :p

Thanks for the tips guys, I am happy to know it is not just me.

Reefer Rob
12-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I guess I'm not that fussy, but I've never had any trouble with ball valves. I just close the valve until I see a few bubbles coming from the emergency outlet. I ran a ball valve on my first tank and I couldn't see the point in spending the extra money on gate valves when I set up my second tank. Once they're set I never touch them.

digital-audiophile
12-30-2007, 04:52 PM
I think I just about have it now, just a tiny trickle is going into the emergency line. I've abandoned getting it perfect becuase it seems every little fraction of movement on the ball valve moves the water level drastically.

All in all I am rather happy with it though :) Now to hang my lights, arrange the rockwork and move my livestock back into the display tank from the 60G.

Thanks everyone :)