PDA

View Full Version : Flatworms

Nauticus
12-29-2007, 11:07 PM
I am a bit of a noob to the salt water scene and would like any tips on how to deal with flatworms. I have a 33G mini reef setup with a 20G refugium. The ammonia is 0, nitrate and nitrite are also 0. I have a power head and a Rena Xp4 for filtration. There is a fair amount of macro algae in the system. Halimeda and Caulerpa, the grape and cactus kind. The flatworms have mainly just shown up on one piece of live rock about a 5 pounder with a feather duster. They have covered the rock and some of the caulerpa. What can I do? I have inverts and corals so I do not want to copper them.
Thanks for the tips and help.

Phanman
12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Flat worm exit does the trick

Doug
12-29-2007, 11:56 PM
I am a bit of a noob to the salt water scene and would like any tips on how to deal with flatworms. I have a 33G mini reef setup with a 20G refugium. The ammonia is 0, nitrate and nitrite are also 0. I have a power head and a Rena Xp4 for filtration. There is a fair amount of macro algae in the system. Halimeda and Caulerpa, the grape and cactus kind. The flatworms have mainly just shown up on one piece of live rock about a 5 pounder with a feather duster. They have covered the rock and some of the caulerpa. What can I do? I have inverts and corals so I do not want to copper them.
Thanks for the tips and help.

Hi and Welcome to Canreef

I will move this to the reef forum for you.

Reefer Rob
12-30-2007, 01:49 AM
Take all the warnings on the Flatworm Exit very seriously. Remove all the flatworms you can see before you treat. When large numbers of flatworms die they can nuke your tank.

Chin_Lee
12-30-2007, 02:38 AM
I second Rob's warning. Suck out as many of the flatworms before trying the exit medication.

Nauticus
12-30-2007, 02:49 AM
That is the thing I do not want to treat as I have corals and inverts in there. What is the best way for me to eliminate them without chemicals?
Thanks for moving the thread.

Reefer Rob
12-30-2007, 04:24 PM
The best thing to do is wait and see if they go away on their own, it might take months or it might take years. I've heard this can happen, but I don't know from personal experience. One thing that might help is to shine a light on the front of the tank over night, and siphon them out where they congregate in the morning. Again, I've only read that this works.