PDA

View Full Version : Flame scallop

fishoholic
12-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Anyone on here have any experience with flame scallops? I was thinking of buying one, but (from what I've read off the internet) they get mixed reviews.

justinl
12-29-2007, 07:00 PM
they can do fine in captivity but daily feeding is an absolute necessity. 95% of these guys will be bought and slowly starve to death. if you're willing to keep up the feeding without compromising water quality, then go for it.

argan
12-29-2007, 08:04 PM
My friend has one, electric flame scallop. it is doing great 5 months after he got it, but the trick is to make sure they are in good condition at the LFS and not gaping open. Also be sure to acclimate properly, AKA slooowly. I would look online for more info on feeding. They are cool looking but may hide in a spot you cant see like purple lobsters.

fishoholic
12-29-2007, 09:12 PM
The main things I'm worried about are: the flame scallop hiding in a spot where I can't get food to it/it not eating and it starving to death, my cleaner shrimp or angel fish (coral beauty and juvi emperor) picking on it and hurting it, and since we have a wave box would there be there be to much flow for one? The one in the store looks very healthy so far.

Myka
12-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Chances are it will slowly starve to death within a year. They are one of those critters that I feel should be left in the ocean. You hear the odd story of someone keeping them successfully for several years, but those stories are far and few between.

JOEL
12-30-2007, 01:48 AM
I have read somewhere that hermit crabs will also bother theme and pick at theme till they die I can't remember where I read that.

RicePaddy
01-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Feeding is a problem as mine seemed to wanted to play hide and seek. In the end it either starved to death or a bristle worm got in and made a meal out of him.

Will

fishoholic
01-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I have decided not to get one. I would hate to see one slowly starve to death or made a meal of.