PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Refugium - help please!

Myka
12-29-2007, 02:57 AM
Ok, here's the idea...

I have a 65 (not set up yet) which is plumbed with no overflows, using a strainer. My out line is hard 1 1/2" PVC piping, and the return is 1" vinyl tubing. I want to incorporate a stand beside refugium that is on its own stand. How should I plumb it? Does anyone have any pics of their plumbing in a similar set up?

I'm thinkin the only way to do it is to install a T or a Y on my return line with ball valves going to both the display and the refugium to control the flow into each, and then give the refugium it's own output with strainer like the display. Yes no?

Cheers!

untamed
12-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Ok, here's the idea...

I have a 65 (not set up yet) which is plumbed with no overflows, using a strainer.

I don't know what you mean by a strainer...

No overflow...do you mean a siphon? I would split the outflow line. Have a portion of the water fall into the refugium, and then into the sump.... while the other portion falls directly to the sump. You can leave the return line alone.

Myka
12-29-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't know what you mean by a strainer...

No overflow...do you mean a siphon? I would split the outflow line. Have a portion of the water fall into the refugium, and then into the sump.... while the other portion falls directly to the sump. You can leave the return line alone.

I guess you could call it a siphon, but it doesn't siphon, it overflows into the strainer. You know how J&L Aquatics has their fish tanks plumbed? There's an output bulkhead with just a strainer on it. That's how mine is plumbed.

Your idea won't work because the refugium is the same height as the display. I don't really want to screw with the outflow because it is rigid PVC, is glued, and I would have to replace the entire outflow line if I wanted to modify it. But thanks for the idea. :D

Der_Iron_Chef
12-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't see why your idea won't work. It might just be a little tricky at first to adjust flow rates with those ball valves (urrgh, they're a bit of a PITA).

I know what you mean about the strainer. You don't have an overflow chamber, just a hole drilled in the back of the tank with a strainer fitting on the inside to keep fish and other things from being sucked in. :)

Brent F
12-29-2007, 04:05 PM
I had a setup with a tank drain splitting and going to a refuge and a sump with ball valves to direct flow. This worked because my refuge was lower than the main tank. It was prone to leaking so I replaced the complex plumbing with a separate system - basically two independently plumbed tanks sharing a common sump. This works better because it is simpler and I can turn off the circulation to the two tanks independently.
________
medical marijuana patient (http://mmjp.org)

Myka
12-30-2007, 01:56 AM
I don't see why your idea won't work. It might just be a little tricky at first to adjust flow rates with those ball valves (urrgh, they're a bit of a PITA).

I know what you mean about the strainer. You don't have an overflow chamber, just a hole drilled in the back of the tank with a strainer fitting on the inside to keep fish and other things from being sucked in. :)

Precisely...a PITA. That's why I'm here...hoping someone has some brilliant idea I haven't thought of yet. :D

It was prone to leaking so I replaced the complex plumbing with a separate system - basically two independently plumbed tanks sharing a common sump. This works better because it is simpler and I can turn off the circulation to the two tanks independently.

I thought of that, but I'm not too keen on using a second return pump (noise). But it IS another good idea... thanks! :D

Okguy
12-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi Myka, in theory your plan should work. It might be a little tricky to get it dialled in but once you do it should be fine.

If I could suggest that you put the fuge just a little higher than your DT and let gravity move the water from the fuge to your main tank. That way you create a nice little highway for your pods to migrate to your main tank without being chopped up by a pump impeller.

Oh yeah I'll send you the pics of the hammers shortly :redface:

Myka
01-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Hi Myka, in theory your plan should work. It might be a little tricky to get it dialled in but once you do it should be fine.

If I could suggest that you put the fuge just a little higher than your DT and let gravity move the water from the fuge to your main tank. That way you create a nice little highway for your pods to migrate to your main tank without being chopped up by a pump impeller.

Oh yeah I'll send you the pics of the hammers shortly :redface:

Good point. I didn't think of the pump hacking them. Hmmm...that would mean a custom stand. Well...I did want to incorporate a frag tank as well...LOL!!! Oh I can see it now - a huge "entertainment unit" of tanks.

Oh yeah, the hammers....haha! I forgot already...it's been a looooooooooooooooooong day!