PDA

View Full Version : naso tang

pinner_28
12-28-2007, 08:25 PM
found my tang stuck in some rock work this morning.Got him out but he has some large white blothches on him and now as i sit here looking at him he dosn't look so good.He looked fine last night when the lights went out.I'm not sure how long they usually live but i've had him a good seven years and ho knows how old he was then he was 4" long when we got him and is close to 6" now.Dosen't seem to have any affect on the other fish.Didn't have enough time to quarantine him.
Terry

Pan
12-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Scientific Name: Naso lituratus
Family: Acanthuridae
Care Normal
Temperature: 22 - 26 C; 72 - 78 F
pH 8.1 - 8.4
dH 8 - 12
Specific gravity 1.020 - 1.025
Size: 46 cm; 18 inches
Breeding:
Egg Layer

Hmm, i only highlited the lifespan to copy and paste...sorry

Life Span: 20 years
Crustacean Safe?
No
Coral Safe?
Yes

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-28-2007, 08:36 PM
You're lucky it only grew 2" in 7 years. I've had tangs that grew an inch a month (no exaggeration). My Acanthurus mata grew like a weed.

Good luck with the naso. They tend to be strong fish so if it survives the next couple of days, I would imagine that it will start to heal & recover.

Anthony

skylord
12-28-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't think I would try to catch him for quarantine unless you need to treat him for infection. I wouldnt want to add any more stress.

Scott

untamed
12-29-2007, 06:27 AM
They typically display patches of white when they've been stressed. That should go away quickly.

Slipstream
12-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Yah, him being caught in the rock, probably caused him to freak out, which is a good chance of what caused the blotches. GL with your fishy :mrgreen:

pinner_28
12-29-2007, 02:41 PM
well unfortunatlly he didn't make it i found him in the large cave i built him this morning.Thanks for all the info.will try and pickup another in feb when i go to the coast to watch the canucks game.
Terry

untamed
12-29-2007, 06:16 PM
7 years...I'm very sorry to hear that. I've only had my Naso for 8 months and I'm already quite fond of him.

fishoholic
12-29-2007, 06:17 PM
that sucks!, sorry for your loss

Lynn
03-23-2008, 02:47 PM
I think that they are a very slow growing tang. I had one for close to three years and it maybe grew about 1/2" or so. I know of another person with the same experience.

UnderWorldAquatics
03-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Please feed your fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone that has a Naso Tang that is slow growing has either poor water quality and or poor feeding!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your average Naso that you purchase at 4" in length should be pushing 12"+ within 1 year. Your average feeder goldfish reaches 12"-18", but in reality they are usually feed a crap diet and live in dirty water and reach a measely few inches in length......Alot of marine species that we commonly keep have life spans of 20+ years, when you purchase your "little" fish they are a juvinile!!! as in "baby" expect to still be caring for them when your kids have left home.your Naso possibly led a very short life with a major in starvation. Naso tangs should look like a football and are very expensive to feed!!! I should start a new thread about this epedemic in our industry.........I dont mean to pick on any one person, I think most folks strive to care for their livestock but fail due to misinformation, and simple iggnorance(they just dont know). at least with forums such as this one, we as a collective can help educate one another.

untamed
03-25-2008, 09:24 PM
I tend to agree (although with less exclamation marks). My experience with Naso elegans, Naso vlamingi and Naso literatus is that they are eating machines and grow rapidy on a healthy diet. My elegans has gone through the same sizes you mention is about 1 year, and my vlamingi has gone from 1.5" to 3.5" in about 2 months!

Mind you... I give credit for keeping a fish for 7 years. A lot of people do worse than that and it must have been sad to lose him. Also, if you are the 2nd owner of the fish there could have been some history that prevented him from growing normally that we don't know about.

fishoholic
03-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Hummmm, I bought a naso tang and an emperor angel from the same store about five months ago. I feed lots of mysis, pellets, nori and cyclopeeze every day. Both fish eat lots and I have good water quality, however since I bought them my emperor went from two inches to about 3 1/2", and the naso has gone from two inches to almost three. So far my Naso tang who is very heathly does not seem to be growing as fast as others suggested he should be, any ideas why?

untamed
03-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Mine eat Nori like cows eat grass. The elegans alone eats about 1/2 sheet (about 8" x 6"?) of Nori every day and will swallow a 1" square piece in a single mouthful. He's maybe 7" at this point.

His name is "Moe"...partly because of how he eats. Also, a similarity to cows at the other end of things as well....