PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day....

canadawest
02-05-2003, 03:49 AM
:(

My fantastic male Bangaii Cardinal has passed away. Found him lying on the sand yesterday morning, no obvious physical cause. I suspect he may have just had too much as he just recently (2 weeks ago) released another healthy brood of babies. He was about 3 years old I figure (1.5 of them with me)

Only thing I did differently this time was put him right back into the main tank after taking him out of the nursery tank. I usually give him a week or more in the refugium to gain his strength and peace of mind back before putting him back in the main tank with the female.

Perhaps the female "nagged him to death" for being gone for so long? Seems odd that he would die two weeks later though?

Well at least he left a legacy, the fry are doing well and I'll hopefully have my trusty male replaced soon.

Sigh....

Troy F
02-05-2003, 04:03 AM
Sorry to hear that Andrew. It would be interesting to know what a constantly producing male's lifespan in the wild would be. That must take its toll on them. At least he has a legacy with all the offspring he's provided.

Would it not be better to add a new bangai from outside the genetic scheme?

zulu_principle
02-05-2003, 04:03 AM
Andrew

Sorry to hear that, you have been extremely successful with that pair and im sure you will find another suitable male.

Wendell

canadawest
02-05-2003, 04:48 AM
Hey Troy,

That is my thought as well. I suspect that genetically it would be better to introduce new genes to the pool. Besides, I don't want to wait 9-12 months for one of the existing offspring to mature.

Going to try find some healthy Bangaiis at a LFS and introduce one. Hopefully I am lucky again and get another male right away. If I dont see any reproduction within a month or two, I'll trade it back and try another one until I get a male.

If anyone sees Bangaiis in their LFS travels, be sure to let me know!

Mak
02-05-2003, 07:06 AM
Sad to here it Andrew :cry: . Good luck with the next one :wink: .

Dorkel Marine 1
02-05-2003, 10:57 AM
8) Sorry about your lose Andrew. I was visiting King Edward about 1 and half weeks ago and they had a whole tank full of very healthy looking bangaii's. Don't quote me but I think they were wanting about 25 to 29 dollars for one.

Tears for your loss and happy huntin.

The corals I bought from you at the meeting are not doing great but are improving daily. Doing a water change today to see if that will help. I still have to wait for to buy the alk test kit. I think that might have something to do with it also.

george muller

Shadetree
02-05-2003, 04:41 PM
That sucks to hear Andrew, I have two large healthy males in my tank. I believe they are both males as they will not stay in the same part of the tank together, either you can have one or let me know when you get a female that you would otherwise be returning.

Scott

BC_Grl
02-06-2003, 02:28 AM
Oh Andrew, I am so sorry to hear about your loss! :cry: I hope you are able to find another male.
The sarcophyton you gave me is doing great. Thanks

BCOrchidGuy
02-06-2003, 03:28 AM
I sent you a PM, King Ed still has some of them in stock, the Xenia I got from you are both doing well, thanks for the good deal.

canadawest
02-06-2003, 06:49 AM
Wow, such an outpouring of kindness and support! :shock:

I guess it's true, give and you recieve much more in return! 8)

Thanks for the offer Scott, but like Troy and I were discussing above I'd like to introduce some new genes to the mix. While trading you a new youngster for your adult male would be great, unfortunately it would be a direct descendant of the existing female (one of her first sons I believe) and I'm not sure the genetic repercusions (sp?) of that. :?

If King Ed's does in fact have some left (which is VERY strange because I was in there twice this past week trading frags and didn't notice any) I'll probably pick one up.

seadog
02-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Just a quick comment to say that anybody taking the effort to breed banggais deserves any and all recognition. Sorry to hear about your fish. Good luck in your search for a pair and in your future breeding endeavours.

Erik

Shadetree
02-06-2003, 05:35 PM
No problem, just keep me in mind if you end up with another female, I will buy it from you before you take it back to the store.

Scott

canadawest
02-06-2003, 07:57 PM
Scott, it's a deal.

Might take a month or longer to determine if I get a male or female, but if it is a female, it's yours.

According to Dr Frank Marini, you would have the ideal arrangement for breeding, 2 males to 1 female. While one is holding eggs, the female will often produce another brood of eggs for the remaining male, before the first brood is even hatched, so you effectively double the potential output of babies this way! Seems fry production is limited by the amount of males available, not the amount of females.

Nature works in mysterious ways!