PDA

View Full Version : The ideal sump/refugium

TANGOMAN
12-27-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm intersted in opinions on what the ideal sump & refugium arrangement would look like to you enthusiests.
I have a remote sump etc in the basement below my display tank upstairs. I'm fortunate with unlimited space down below. I currently have approx 40g in a rubbermaid sump, a 33g refugium c/w L.R. & macro-algae. I have another 33g being put together for mangroves. More to come...?

My main goal; nutrient export. I wish to provide ideal conditions for coral growth while maintaing a heavy bio-load of fish. I've gone with a bare-bottom tank and while I perform water changes regularly, they are for replenishing basic elements, Not chasing increasing nitrate levels that accompany heavy bio-loads.

I'm hessitant to use Miracle-Mud. All refugiums are currently bare bottom. A DSB a good option?

What would you do if ya' had the space? Two key factors though; Keep costs reasonable and low maintainance is always good. (K.I.S.S.)

p.s.
I'm looking for a "light mover" rail system for refugium illumination with one lamp. These are electronic and too cool! Any around town...?

Thanks,

Canuckgod420
12-27-2007, 11:18 PM
All refugiums are BB?
Where are you getting this info?
Everyone I know who has a dedicated refugium has a DSB.
Go with at least 6 inches of sand.

Or do you mean your refugiums are all BB?
As far as light movers go...any indoor garden supply place sells them.

skylord
12-28-2007, 02:03 AM
I use the miracle mud in my mangrove refug but I put about an inch of sand over the top of it and havent had a problem with mud entering the system.

Scott

TANGOMAN
12-28-2007, 02:30 AM
Ya' MY refugiums are BB, for now. That sounded like I was preaching the gospel with no clue what I was talkin' about didn't it?

I haven't heard any really negative reviews about the "mud" theory, I just don't know if the cost justifies the results. Difficult though with a relatively new product, but I was jumping on the bandwagon when powerheads replaced air stones on UG filter systems for marine tanks...yikes!

As for the sand, is "play sand" still a good option and "seed" it?

skylord
12-28-2007, 04:25 AM
I used this instead...Caribsea Mineral Mud Substrate - 1 Gallon. Half the price and it satisfies my belief that trees need soil.

Scott

andresont
12-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm intersted in opinions on what the ideal sump & refugium arrangement would look like to you enthusiests.
I have a remote sump etc in the basement below my display tank upstairs. I'm fortunate with unlimited space down below. I currently have approx 40g in a rubbermaid sump, a 33g refugium c/w L.R. & macro-algae. I have another 33g being put together for mangroves. More to come...?

My main goal; nutrient export. I wish to provide ideal conditions for coral growth while maintaing a heavy bio-load of fish. I've gone with a bare-bottom tank and while I perform water changes regularly, they are for replenishing basic elements, Not chasing increasing nitrate levels that accompany heavy bio-loads.

I'm hessitant to use Miracle-Mud. All refugiums are currently bare bottom. A DSB a good option?

What would you do if ya' had the space? Two key factors though; Keep costs reasonable and low maintainance is always good. (K.I.S.S.)

p.s.
I'm looking for a "light mover" rail system for refugium illumination with one lamp. These are electronic and too cool! Any around town...?

Thanks,

Check LifeReef (http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html)for the sump/refuge combo very well done work !

Dale
12-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Just for discussion sake,
If you are looking for an effective refugium/nutrient export system and don't have to worry about space try installing a rain gutter.
Take a 6-8 ft gutter, feed water in one end and have it drain into the sump from the other. Take a role of gutter guard, cut it length ways and weave it back and forth down the gutter like this:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/gutterrefugium.jpg

Mount a plant spectrum fluorescent bulb over the gutter, remove the gutter guard once in a while to scrape off the algae and you will have a very effective nutrient export factory.

albert_dao
12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
You should come to the store and talk to me :D