PDA

View Full Version : which kind of live rock

asherah
12-26-2007, 11:32 PM
I was thinking Fiji from I'm but does anyone have a suggestion on which kind of rock would be the easier to shape with?
Also I was thinking of doing columns but not sure how others have done this.
I have seen ppl using eggcrate, but how was the rock attatched?
thanks for any advice
asherah

Pan
12-26-2007, 11:42 PM
I was thinking Fiji from I'm but does anyone have a suggestion on which kind of rock would be the easier to shape with?
Also I was thinking of doing columns but not sure how others have done this.
I have seen ppl using eggcrate, but how was the rock attatched?
thanks for any advice
asherah
I like lettuce rock(Caribbean Live Rock)
Most I think drill holes in the pvc or not, but attach them with zip ties. There is so many different types of liverock out there, most i think go for the cheapest. If i can find some carib live rock picks i'll put them up, its what i used in my last tank. but most if not all liverock is in shapes, that with a little creativity will look good.

digital-audiophile
12-26-2007, 11:44 PM
I have always just looked for nice shapes and not worried about what kind of rock it is. Go to your LFS and start pulling rock out of the holding tank and see what feels right.

IMHO that is the only way to do it.

Pan
12-27-2007, 02:27 AM
I have always just looked for nice shapes and not worried about what kind of rock it is. Go to your LFS and start pulling rock out of the holding tank and see what feels right.

Yeah good advice, its the shape you want...but i just liked the way the lettuce rock looked, plus it was very easy to zip tie..it camo'd (nope forget how to spell it) the ties nicely so i did not have to wait for coraline to cover them.

Myka
12-27-2007, 03:01 AM
I find that Fiji and Tonga are the most common types to find around here. Fiji being 90% of what is offered. I much prefer Tonga over Fiji just because it generally has much nicer shapes to it. I have found that Fiji in general is often boulderish (round smoothish) and is a real pain in the butt to aquascape with. I drill some of my rocks (with masonry bit) and insert nylon "sticks" which I then glue in place with 2-part reef epoxy (I use Deltec epoxy), and some rocks I just epoxy together.

Tangman
12-27-2007, 03:30 AM

Agreed,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !

Drock169
12-27-2007, 05:11 AM
I find the fiji boulders make nice base rock which you can use to build height off of with more expensive rock like tonga. But i do prefer tonga overall.

Brent F
12-27-2007, 06:05 AM
What do people think of Vanuatu for nano tanks?
________
mexicocity hotel (http://mexicocityhotel.info)