PDA

View Full Version : I got mystery algae for xmas...

Nicole8ca
12-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi,

I spent the better part of my day reading articles trying to figure out what this is and how to get rid of it. Not only have I come up with nothing, but there was some red stuff as well that I'm no longer convinced in good.

1. What is all that fuzzy stuff and how do I get rid of it?
2. What is that fiber optic looking thing that I've circled?

Any advice, help, suggestions, (even jokes at this point) are welcomed.

Thanks
Nicole

Myka
12-26-2007, 04:12 PM
How old is your tank? It looks like detritus collecting on the rocks from less than sufficient flow. The "fibre optic" thing looks to be the beginnings of a little sponge (I have lots that look like that) or a little feather duster type worm or something. Doesn't look harmful.

mark
12-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Try blowing the fuzz off with a turkey baster so your filters can pick it up.

tang daddy
12-26-2007, 05:03 PM
if your tank is new the fuzzy stuff is just probally a cycle after this you will get hair algae but not to worry it usually goes away but after 6 months if you still have it you may want to invest in a phosban reactor lessen how much you feed aswell as the light cycle. things that take care of hair and turf algae are rabbit fish, very efficient also you may want to try bristtle tooth tang other than those turbo snails work well IME.

Nicole8ca
12-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi,

My tank is about 4 months old. 77 gallons with 2 koralia 4's and 1 maxijet 1200. I thought that would be lots of flow... Maybe I'll try just moving stuff around a bit.

Yes it mostly blows off with the turkey baster.

About a month ago I removed all my substrate and it's been collecting on my rocks ever since. :(

Aside from waiting for the filter to pick it up, is there any sort of critter that will help it along?

Thanks,
Nicole

Skimmerking
12-26-2007, 10:01 PM
if you took the sand out that is probably what it is. When I used to take apart the rocks in the tnak and move them around I would get that sort of hairy brownish grey crap on the rocks. If its not a hassel take the rock out scrub the rocks or shake the heck out of it in a bucket of water......

no one said that Salt water hobby was easy there is always something to do :lol:

mike

Nicole8ca
12-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys. I grabbed some turbo snails today, so I'll see what happens. If not I may have to take out all the rock and scrub. I just HATE doing that- not because it's time consuming, but because it stresses out my fish. *sigh*

Myka
12-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Bah! Just use a turkey baster a few times a day...your filters will pluck it out of the water if it's suspended. Also siphon it off when you do your waterchanges. Hermit crabs (the lesser of the evils is the Scarlet) will help more than snails will that's for sure.