PDA

View Full Version : Ideal predator fish?

dsaundry
12-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Part 2 of my poll. Being that I will be starting a predator tank, I am wondering about compatibility among certain predators. I have been looking at a dwarf fuzzy lionfish and am wondering what other species would go with them. Or if I dont go with a lionfish, what other suggestions are there for a 90g predator tank? Happy Hollidays:biggrin:

Palster
12-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I am more partial to Puffers and Trigger Fish for a predator tank (just my own personal preference). Some Triggers can be VERY aggressive though depending on the species. A fully grown Clown Trigger can reach 18 inches in length and at this size would be like having a buzz saw swimming around in your tank as they are not afraid to use their teeth. Puffers have tonnes of personality and have even been compared to "Aqua Dogs". My Puffer will allow me to pick him up and readily takes food from my hand but you have to be carefull that he doesn't bite when he gets fed as he is a good 10 inches long and growing.

Aquattro
12-24-2007, 06:05 PM
also, something to consider is that lionfish, while technically are predators, they are a bit delicate and might not do well with more agressive species. I had one years ago with a couple triggers, and it was impossible to get any food to it. The triggers also bullied it around quite a bit, even after getting poked several times (which didn't seem to phase them at all).

danny zubot
12-27-2007, 04:44 AM
also, something to consider is that lionfish, while technically are predators, they are a bit delicate and might not do well with more agressive species.

Agreed, Any fin nipper will take full advantage of a lion fish's fins. You can get away with any number of "too big to eat' as far as tank mates are concerned.

Zylumn
12-27-2007, 06:34 AM
I have been looking into and considering a Trigger tank.

They are awesome fish.

Palster
12-27-2007, 05:23 PM
I have been looking into and considering a Trigger tank.

They are awesome fish.

Triggers are among my favorite fish as well. In fact I choose to forego having many corals in my tank since I am more partial to predatory fish than I am corals. Just make sure you research before you purchase certain species of Trigger Fish as some of them can be Extremely aggressive when they get large. For example Queen, Clown, Bursa, and Redtooth Triggers are some of the more notorious trouble makers as they grow larger. That being said every species behavior can be variable from one individual to the next. I have a friend who has a large Bursa Trigger that he has had for years in a mixed species FOWLR tank. This fish has never bothered the other fish in the tank however I have also heard stories of large Clown triggers being relatively peaceful for a few years then one day killing all of the other fish in the tank.

I myself am considering purchasing a Clown Trigger as they are my absolute favorite fish when it comes to appearance but am concerned about the long term behavior of this species. They do need a large tank as they get real big.

Aquattro
12-27-2007, 05:35 PM
As this wasn't really a poll and is about fish, I've moved it to the Marine Fish forum.

tranvictor
01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
My favorite predator was my miniatus grouper, although a 90 gal might be a bit small. They have lots of personality, always floating around displaying its bright red body, with bright blue spots. It will eat anything frozen, and live food also. My wife hated that I fed mine damsels, but it happens in nature.

trilinearmipmap
01-11-2008, 12:14 AM
I would think twice about any kind of lionfish, someone I think it was Anthony got stung by one and got rid of his lionfish the next day. Not worth the pain.

I am amazed that any fish is able to nip at a lionfish's fins considering what kind of a venomous punch this fish packs.