PDA

View Full Version : How is Instant Ocean's salt?

eWarren
12-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Does anyone know if instant ocean's salt are good enough for reef/coral tank?

marie
12-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Thats all i've used for the last 15yrs :biggrin:

Salmon King
12-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Tried the real good stuff and instant ocean and I didnt see any difference except in the pocket book.

Myka
12-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Tried the real good stuff and instant ocean and I didnt see any difference except in the pocket book.

Pretty much.

Except Instant Ocean usually mixes up to Calcium 390, Alk 12 dKH, Magnesium 1350 at SG 1.026. So that means you need to add some calcium to your waterchange water to bring it up to 420-430.

mark
12-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Been finding both Ca and Mg low and get the impression every pail different. Here's my numbers cut from another thread (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37875&highlight=io): one pail Ca 325, Mg 1100, Alk 11.2, another pail Ca 275, Mg 900, Alk 10.9.

Here's another thread (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35562&highlight=io)about Ca/Mg levels with IO.http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/images/misc/progress.gif

I have no issues with IO now that I'm aware is low from the start and that CA/Mg levels can easily (and cheaply) be brought up with supplements.

DanG
12-24-2007, 05:07 PM
I've found that both CA and MG are low in IO. As far as I'm concerned, it's cheaper for me to buy a different salt that has all the levels in the right spot as opposed to having to keep adding buffer.

Is it for a fish only tank or a reef tank? If it's fish only, then use whichever salt has consistant quality and is cheap, but if it's reef, then I'd consider spending the extra bucks on a different brand of salt.

seanoman
12-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree, it doesn't make sense to me to buy a cheaper salt and then have to always add calcium to it when you do a water change. IMO it makes more sense to spend the extra on a salt that is balaced where it needs to be and then add to it if you still need the extra boost.

mark
12-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Figure supplementing IO is probably going to be less than $5.00 a pail and might take an extra 10 minutes when making the water up, but think lesson learned no matter what salt mix, is to measure before putting in tank.

(maybe also justifying to myself the 5 pails of IO I still have)

Myka
12-24-2007, 05:58 PM
What SG are you guys using??? IO Mg is right on target from my measurements using Salifert test kits.

I also find it's cheaper to buff up the Calcium on my waterchange water than it is to buy more expensive salt.

eWarren
12-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I have fish tank and Instant Ocean works fine for me before. But now, since I am starting to get into coral side, and I seems have some trouble with ca and mg's level, so that's why I am checking to see if IO is good enough salt or if everyone else is using others.

mark
12-24-2007, 08:23 PM
What SG are you guys using??? IO Mg is right on target from my measurements using Salifert test kits.

SG 1.025

Using ELOS and Salifert for Ca, ELOS for Mg, Salifert for Alk.

fkshiu
12-24-2007, 08:47 PM
There are thousands upon thousands of home reefs that use IO including my own despite it being a bit low on Ca and sometimes Mg. I may try another salt one day, but IO is usually the cheapest and the most plentiful.

littlesilvermax
12-24-2007, 10:39 PM
IO for 6 years. I get incredible growth.

I supplement my salt with some magnesium and calcium, costs about $4 per pail.

StirCrazy
12-25-2007, 12:39 AM

I also find it's cheaper to buff up the Calcium on my waterchange water than it is to buy more expensive salt.

If you are getting the numbers you posted above from IO you must have a special batch.

While I do think IO is one of thebetter salts it is horably low in Mg like any other salt as Mg is an expensive additive. If you start a tank with it after a week check the MG and adjust it up to about 1350 to 1400ppm. This will also cause your Ca to raise if it is being supressed by low Mg.

I wouldn't worry about raising a 390 Ca level as that is about as perfect as you can get.

Steve

Doug
12-25-2007, 07:30 PM
I do the same as Ben. Between the IO and the mag. & calcium, its still cheaper than most. My tank magnesium stays @ 1350 ppm and no precipitate in the mixing bucket.

As long as I can purchased those additives for a decent price and the salt for similar, thats what I will stick with.

Myka
12-27-2007, 03:37 AM
If you are getting the numbers you posted above from IO you must have a special batch.

While I do think IO is one of thebetter salts it is horably low in Mg like any other salt as Mg is an expensive additive. If you start a tank with it after a week check the MG and adjust it up to about 1350 to 1400ppm. This will also cause your Ca to raise if it is being supressed by low Mg.

I wouldn't worry about raising a 390 Ca level as that is about as perfect as you can get.

Steve

I'll test my IO next time I test my tank (hmm...I never do that anymore lol). But now I am interested since everyone seems to have such different readings than me. When I was testing my tank regularly the Mg was staying ~1380 ppm just with waterchanges. I like to keep my Calcium over 400 ppm so I do bump it up a bit. I aim for ~420 ppm. Alkalinity is always bouncing around between 7-12 dkh. I haven't been able to get it overly steady.