PDA

View Full Version : tank setup q's

spikehs
02-04-2003, 04:15 AM
Hey all,

I am debating on down-grading my 80gal tank in favor of a smaller 40gal. I love my 80 but, being a student when i move out, a 40 gal will be MUCH more practical. My 80gal doesn't have a sump or anything, which i really would like to have, so this will be reefready with ~20gal sump Now i haven't even really decided if i have to do this (i should be upgrading not downgrading!!). But thought i would gather some opinions first. The tank will be a mix of most corals....

1. i am currently thinking of the 36x18x15 from inter-america, but 15inches seems a little shallow front to back, would 36x18x18 make much of a diff?

2. what size pump should i get? the sump will be at most 4feet below the tank. Since the tank is smaller i would like to avoid powerheads (after i went and collected 2 more for my 80!!) I was thinking around 1000gph?

3. How many returns should i get and at what size? i was thinking 2, but wasn't really sure on the size, 1inch?

Thanks a bunch,.

Sean

Jack
02-04-2003, 10:58 PM
36x18x18 sounds like a nice size for a small drilled tank (50g?) Go with two 1" returns blowing to front middle. You might have to run a powerhead along the back to keep detrius from building up. I'm sure a Bakpak skimmer would do fine and a 10k Ushio 175w MH would look great with some rock and a bit of a DSB.

spikehs
02-05-2003, 07:06 AM
thanks, what size pump do you figure would work best?

Delphinus
02-05-2003, 03:32 PM
For a smaller footprint setup I kind of prefer submersible pumps, that way you're not wondering how best to fit a sump AND pump and plumbing, etc. into the small enclosed space of the stand (if that's what you're going for). Maybe something like a Mag5 or a Mag7 for a setup like that? I use a Mag3 on my 20g and I find it's plenty as far as sump->tank volume turnover is concerned. HTH :)