PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with my ballast?

crusty1
12-23-2007, 12:58 AM
My Coralife HPS 108SA 250w ballast has stopped working. I opened the casing, hoping to find a fuse, but I don't see one. Does anyone know anything about this type of ballast and what I can do to fix it?

Black Phantom
12-23-2007, 09:42 PM
The HPS refers to high pressure sodium which a lot of companies use because they're cheaper than some of the other MH types. They do run your MH bulbs unfortunately they only run a certain type of bulb, which limits your selection. It is probably the old "tar" style ballast which are a coil and core and draw a lot of power.
I've found that when they stop working that there's not much to do but buy a new one.
If your not an electrician then you can't buy a ballast over the counter (at least they're not supposed to sell you one) so you have two choices.

1. Get an electrician to redo your ballast (high cost) or
2. Order a new electronic one online and redo it yourself (very easy)

J&L Aquatics is probably the cheapest I've found ($140)and you can usually do the swap in about 20 minutes if your a bit handy. Someone else might know where you can pick one up locally for a good price, but definately go electronic as they will run most bulbs out there.

Hope this helps

Bryan
12-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Coil and core ballasts are quite reliable. There is little to them except winding around a metal core. If you have eliminated the bulb as the culprit it's likely the capacitor or in the case of a HPS ballast config the ignitor. Can you post the innards of the casing and I may be able to help you futher.

crusty1
12-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Thanks guys! Brian, I will post a pic, but I won't be able to post it until tomorrow. Thanks for your offer to help me troubleshoot.

KrazyKuch
12-24-2007, 02:09 AM
If your not an electrician then you can't buy a ballast over the counter (at least they're not supposed to sell you one) so you have two choices.

1. Get an electrician to redo your ballast (high cost) or
2. Order a new electronic one online and redo it yourself (very easy)

well for one anyone can buy a MH ballast over the counter you just have to go to a wholesaler....2 they are quite cheap...you can replace the ballast in the for probably around $70...if you go that route let me know And I can help you replace it!!

Black Phantom
12-25-2007, 01:00 AM
well for one anyone can buy a MH ballast over the counter you just have to go to a wholesaler....2 they are quite cheap...you can replace the ballast in the for probably around $70...if you go that route let me know And I can help you replace it!!

Not to doubt you Krazy but I just had the capaciter go on my PFO ballast last month. No one in town had the 250 cap I needed except for one wholesaler. When I stopped in to buy it they informed me that unless I had an account it was no go. I then tried Eecol electric and Brite-Lite. I was told at both places that unless I was an electrician they wouldnt sell me a ballast. I ended up ordering one from J&L and replaced it myself. Maybe it's just me :lol:

KrazyKuch
12-25-2007, 02:47 AM
weird everytime I have gone to the wholsaler o buy ballasts not once have the asked me if I was an electrician...

If you need a ballast let me know and I will pick you one up!!

StirCrazy
12-25-2007, 06:28 AM
it is most likly a policy that they will only sell to companies as they are a wholesaler, you can go to any lighting retailer and get replacment ballasts if they deal in them, or even hydroponic stores.

the coralife ballasts are cheep and the best thing you can do is upgrade them.

Steve

Black Phantom
12-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Now that I've replaced one of my old tar style ballasts with a new electronic one it will be interesting to see if it affects my power bill. They are supposed to be more efficient.
One thing is for sure, they run much cooler. I've got two more that will have to be switched out eventually so I'll wait and see how the new one performs. Time will tell.

fkshiu
12-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Your power bill probably will go down a bit, but so will the PAR output of the bulbs by just a little. That's the tradeoff you get with electronic ballasts, but their reduced size and heat also figure into the equation.