PDA

View Full Version : colt coral

fiorano
12-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I had a colt coral for a few weeks now and it was doing really good and now it suddenly keels over and doesnt open up and i tested the water there is no ammonia and no nitrites but there is very low nitrates and all the other corals are doing fine. does anyone know a specific reason why this coral would just randomly die?

o.c.d.
12-23-2007, 05:16 AM
Capnella (kenya tree) Adequate food sources from dissolved materials have to be present to meet the nutrition needs of this coral,they do have zooxanthellae but seem to receive less nutrition than other corals from them.Collapsing is common. So ? are you supplement feeding or enough food in the system. My 4 year old colonie was fragmented at least 20x then the mother colonie collapsed but babys in the same system were fine??? No apparent reason??? Hope this helps

Johnny Reefer
12-23-2007, 12:04 PM
I had a Colt coral slowly disintegrate on me over the course of the last 6 months. There's virtually nothing left. Not sure what caused it, but I think it was from using too much kalkwasser during an Aiptasia eradication program I was carrying out.

Cheers,

Salmon King
12-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I had coral that were supposed to be hard to keep and never had a problem.But those leathers drove me nuts.Like you said fine and dandy then all of a sudden timber.Shriveled up and gone.Nice yellow and green ones and then empty spot in tank.

bassman
12-23-2007, 07:49 PM
I had one that didn't last 2 weeks (it was dyed). When it died it took out all my Xenias. So once you think it might be on it's way out get it out of your tank asap.

Tom R
12-23-2007, 10:08 PM
I have noticed that my Colt Coral really picks up after I dose Iodine. Just a few drops every 3 days.

Tom R

fiorano
12-25-2007, 11:51 PM
ok ill try the iodine and how can it wipe out other corals by dying?

Tom R
12-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Keep the dose small and watch the results closely. I dose 2 drops in my 500G system.

bassman
12-26-2007, 03:40 PM
ok ill try the iodine and how can it wipe out other corals by dying?

Lots of things can kill other tank mates when they die. They release all kinds of nasties. Some more then others obviously.

tang daddy
12-26-2007, 05:26 PM
colt coral are very toxic same with leathers If you remove it from your tank make sure you do it outside your tank especially if it's on a rock also if you're ever fragging this coral have some tank water in a container and after fragging it rinse it off before returning it to the tank. If you have problems with the colt it could either mean you dosed too much of something or something stung it. Colts are the most hardy coral IME and was probally one of the first brown corals I started with never had one die but they don't like certain thing like too much flow moderate they love that's th only time I had a problem was when it wasn't secure after I elastic banded it to a rock it was fine.

Salmon King
12-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Iodine very trickey as you can overdose.Use iodide as it is almost fool proof with soft coral and lps

fiorano
12-28-2007, 10:34 PM
thanks guys it all owrked and now that coral seems to be pretty happy :)