PDA

View Full Version : Framing question in basement.

Canadian Man
02-03-2003, 09:42 PM
So all you carpenters out there(MITCH???)
Is it okay to frame around my adjustable telepost in the basement?
We hav been in the house for 2 years now and I only had to adjust it once in the first 4 months. Have not had to adjust it since.

Thanks for the help. :D

Delphinus
02-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Well I am not a carpenter but what I have seen done, is a subtly removable panel that you can remove for access. I have no idea if this is acceptable by code or not. In my house I cannot access them at all without knocking out drywall; but there are many many things about how my basement was done that really irritate me. (If I had had a brain 7 years ago when I bought the house I would have just ripped it all out and redone it "my way" before I started getting too much down there... oh well.)

MitchM
02-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Hide it Jon. (you shouldn't have had to adjust it, BTW...?) We usually bury it in a wall, 2 x 4 or 2 x 6, depending on the size of the post. One bit of advice.....the cement floor will slope up around the base of the posts, so if you're framing a wall on the ground, planning to stand it up, take that into consideration. The cement floors will vary in any case, so when I'm framing a basement, I take many measurements along where the wall is going to be - from the cement floor to the bottom of the floor joists and/or blocking, then subtract another 1/4 inch. That's the height of the wall that I build.

Mitch

MitchM
02-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Post a pic here if there's a particular concern that you have....I'll be happy to advise!

Mitch :D

Canadian Man
02-03-2003, 10:13 PM
thanks Mitch!
I had to adjust it that one time cause our bedroom door wouldn't close :?
I loosened off the two nuts about 1/2 a turn(with alot of effort of course and a large hammer) and our bedroom door would close again.

That helps alot! I was planning on framing the walls without making them and then standing them up. Well mainly the tank wall with sand built in. We'll see.

Thanks again.

BCOrchidGuy
03-13-2003, 04:38 AM
Whats an adjustable telepost anyway, I may be buying a house in the next year, is it something I should look for???

MitchM
03-13-2003, 04:53 AM
It's a steel post used to carry some of the weight of a beam that's holding your floor joists. They're located in the basement, and they would be imbedded in the concrete with a footing underneath. There is a heavy duty screw on the top of the post, used for adjusting the beam to level. Do you guys have basements out there?

Mitch

Skimmerking
03-13-2003, 02:56 PM
WEll 1ST thing you have to see hold old the house is?

Then are the engineered 2x10 's in there ?
The reason is the engineered 2x10's can hold loads up to 22"ft for a total span. :D

noraml 2x10 spruce of fur can hold up only to 16 ft
so thatis why its important. :!:

not bad for army guy eh

HTH
]
Mike