PDA

View Full Version : Rookie dosing questions...

jasond
12-22-2007, 05:55 AM
I took a sample of my water today to a LFS and had it tested for Mag & Calc. In my tank right now there isnt a lot in the way of coral, some GSP, mushrooms, 1 frag zoo, candycane&xenia frag. I have never tested either Mag or Calc (I know I know), and both are low. I cant remember exact numbers as I should have written it down, they arent "dangerous", but not where they are supposed to be. Anyways, question is:

Should I be dosing calcium on a regular/daily basis regardless? How about Mag? I was told to use a buffer when I use the Calc, so should this be used anytime I dose the Calc? My PH right now is fairly steady at around 8.2.

Sorry lots of q's. I am going to get these test kits (BD sale), but had not paid too much attention as I didnt have many corals.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

Matt
12-22-2007, 06:36 AM
You need to be introduced to the greatness that is Randy Holmes-Farley. Many of his excellent articles from ReefCentral are linked on the Reef Chemistry page right here: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=41

In short, Kalk is a buffered solution already, with Ca and Alk in proportion. If you are dosing Ca directly, you'll need to add Alk too. Again, in addition to the commercially-prepared buffered and two-part additives available at your local shop, Randy's (yep, the same Randy) home brew two-part solution is recommended by loads of successful reefers. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Repeating the oft-quoted advice from many: Don't add anything you're not testing for.

As for your central question: should you be dosing... testing will tell. You'll have to bring your levels up, likely through a series of additive adjustments or water changes. Then maintenance according to uptake (use). Kalkwasser (limewater) is a fairly easy way to maintain levels for many people (including the aforementioned guru, Randy, who recommends it).

Last tip: if you decide to make your own two-part, or dose Kalk, look at LittleSilverMax's vendor forum here. Great prices for quality ingredients.

jasond
12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Wow.....that should keep me busy! Sorry, should have checked there first. I think by the time you have an SW aquarium running well, your half way to having a chemistry degree!

I think I will pick up some of those Elos test kits, they seem to be the best / most popular.

Thanks again,

Jason

Snappy
12-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I use Randy's 2 part recipe and like it.

Last tip: if you decide to make your own two-part, or dose Kalk, look at LittleSilverMax's vendor forum here. Great prices for quality ingredients.

This guy has good service. I recommend using him.