PDA

View Full Version : Top-off pump

Matt
12-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I want to experiment with auto top-off of my tank.

There are two methods I'm considering. One seems higher risk, but I'll lay them both out. For aesthetic purposes, and for space constraints, I don't want/can't have any resevoir on the main floor.

1) An sealed kalk jar (a reactor, I guess), with RO/DI output IN, and floatswitch controlling topoff. Essentially a KALK union, using household water pressure to power the lift to the tank. Does anyone do this? I worry about the unlimited input side, of course. I also wonder about backflow when other water outlets are open. I suppose a check-valve would fix that. I know there aren't many who would recommend effectively plumbing the RO/DI directly to the sump this way....

2) An open (unpressurized) kalk resevoir with a lifter pump to the tank. Anyone know an appropriate pump that can lift water 10' or so, but will only pump a gallon or so a day, at what amounts to a drip rate?

KrazyKuch
12-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Instead of useing a Humidifier style float valve, you can get the float valves that can control an outlet and turn the pump on for you, this way you aren't limited to the amount of water the pump will do!!!

Also for the tanks I have run in the past I have had the outlet full blast as it only Squirts in a bit at a time!!

mr_alberta
12-21-2007, 11:06 PM
If you do option 1 with a pressurized Kalk reactor, you will come home one day to water all over your house from an exploded Kalk reactor :wink: .

Matt
12-22-2007, 01:36 AM
If you do option 1 with a pressurized Kalk reactor, you will come home one day to water all over your house from an exploded Kalk reactor :wink: .Correction, Harvey. That would be limewater all over the house. Actually, this is easy to contain and divert to a basement floor drain, but still not an option I like to contemplate. I really don't prefer doing this... a pump powerful enough to lift 10' seems likely to be overkill to push a gallon a day. I might not get my wish.