PDA

View Full Version : aquascaping art

Snappy
12-21-2007, 05:17 AM
Anybody else see this tank build on RC. This aquascaping is a hoot. You can't accuse this guy of not being original. I think I like it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1264946&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Rippin
12-21-2007, 05:24 AM
Haha, Sweet!

Der_Iron_Chef
12-21-2007, 05:37 AM
I really like it!! Awesome!

Chaloupa
12-21-2007, 05:37 AM
It's one of a kind that's for sure! Very interesting.

justinl
12-21-2007, 05:46 AM
roflmao, that's briliant.

Kronk
12-21-2007, 05:59 AM
My first thought was tacky, but Damn that is COOL. I especially like the idea of creating your own rock. I had been looking into that a while back but i couldnt find a decent "recipe" that addressed the problems of using concrete... anybody know of any good ways to create your own rock let me know!

Slipstream
12-21-2007, 07:58 AM
yah, that looks pretty darn sweet :mrgreen:

justinl
12-21-2007, 08:28 AM
My first thought was tacky, but Damn that is COOL. I especially like the idea of creating your own rock. I had been looking into that a while back but i couldnt find a decent "recipe" that addressed the problems of using concrete... anybody know of any good ways to create your own rock let me know!

Look around GARF.org actually there is a lot of good info there, but specifically, what you're looking for can be found in the left hand side navigation window under "how to pages" "aragocrete" and "Eddie Postma's famous aragocrete classes" scroll down and a recipe is there. I haven't done it, but it really does seem like a good idea; a future project for me perhaps.

fishmaster
12-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Look around GARF.org actually there is a lot of good info there, but specifically, what you're looking for can be found in the left hand side navigation window under "how to pages" "aragocrete" and "Eddie Postma's famous aragocrete classes" scroll down and a recipe is there. I haven't done it, but it really does seem like a good idea; a future project for me perhaps.

Or try...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1156212&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1243391&goto=nextoldest

fishytime
12-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Ok I will be the bitter betty....where is the bubble up treasure chest?....

digital-audiophile
12-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm torn... on one hand it has that underwater lost city of atlsntis feel.... on the other hand it is kind of tacky :p

michika
12-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I love it, its very me! Haha I totally want aquascaping like that now.

Joe Reefer
12-21-2007, 02:10 PM
I think one head would have been enough.

Matt
12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Tough to criticize anyone who spends that much time to achieve his vision... but... he says in the thread that he was trying to avoid "tacky". I think he swerved and hit kitschy instead.

I applaud him, though, for breaking the 'rules'.

There are, it seems, two art themes dominate in the reef tanks I see. Fist, there's realism. We try to make our aquarium look like a slice of ocean. There's alot of that, much (including mine), done badly, with bad proportions or visible infrastructure. Then there's the abstract. See any SPS-dominated TOTM. A crash of colour, with no interpretation.

Where are our velvet Elvii and poker-playing dogs? Where's the folk-art (naive) movement? There's room for themed tanks, and kitch, and even bubbling treasure chests. There's room for wacky and weird.

Reefer Rob
12-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Damn! When I made the rock for my tank I did even put in a hand print, or my initials. *sigh* Next time I'm doing a hula girl with a bobble head :mrgreen:

Snappy
12-21-2007, 04:17 PM
I think this would be cool for a "fish" tank but would be distracting for a reef. I like the way the head lights up.

fishoholic
12-21-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm torn... on one hand it has that underwater lost city of atlsntis feel.... on the other hand it is kind of tacky :p

That's what I was thinking. If it's for a FOWLR tank then it's pretty cool. For a reef tank it's questionable.

fishytime
12-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Dont get me wrong...I applaud him for the work he put into it. The heads look very good.Its a novel idea. I guess it depends what you want the focus of your tank to be. For me, when I look at my tank I want it to take me away from civilization, things man made.It is like my own little piece of nature(as best we can recreate).I hate all the equipment being in the tank,but until I get the sump up and running I have to put up with it. Even in my fresh water tank, I try to hide the equipment and decorate the tank as naturally as possible.I agree with Greg,I think for me it would also be to distracting.