PDA

View Full Version : Coral Sand vs. Argonite

FlameAngel
08-20-2001, 11:27 AM
Has anyone used it? It basically is coral chips which have been crushed down to a pulp so that it's a fine sand...
That eminatates the main complant with CC, being that it traps detris.

What will be the problems with this? buffering I presume.

FlameAngel

reefburnaby
08-26-2001, 03:19 AM
Hello FlameAngel,

Well...I think they are about the same. Fine crush coral or fine crush argonite will still support the same worms and little critters.

Argonite has been advertised to dissolve when the pH is below a certain level, which is suppose to help buffering. But most experts on centralreef agree that it only significantly dissolves when the ph is about 7.8. Your tank has to be in pretty bad condition for that to happen. I am not sure if the crush coral dissolves at the same pH.

You should be fine with either.

[ 25 August 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

FlameAngel
08-26-2001, 10:04 AM
I only posted this, b/c coral sand is "fairly" cheap aswell when compared to argonite. I think I got 80 lbs for 60 dollars or something (at a LFS). For my 80 gallon, I did a mix or about 50/50 between the two.

FlameAngel

titus
08-26-2001, 03:10 PM
Hello,

I have seen discussion on what sand to use countless number of times. And all I have to say is that I'll just go use fine sand next time I start a tank.

Afterall, the tank wouldn't really need the buffering ability of the aragonite when it's properly maintained and well cared for. And yes, the tank must be in really bad shape if the pH is low enough to make use of that extra buffering capacity.

Titus