PDA

View Full Version : notching tank for external overflow

StirCrazy
12-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Ok, I remember people drilling there tanks with a dremmel a while back, how thick was the glass what bit did you use and what speed did you run the dremmel at?

I am thinking of getting a tank but I want to take a notch out for an external overflow and I am wondering if this is something I can just do my self. also is there any other way to do it, like a belt sander with a special abrasive?

Steve

mark
12-21-2007, 01:41 AM
re: drill glass with dremel, last hole I did was spd position 7 or 8 (out of 10) 1/8" round/ball bit, with 1/4" glass and about 7 linear inches and took ~ 20 minutes

Do you have the spreadsheet for slotted weir fr reefs.org? It's an Excel spreadsheet in their download section (http://www.reefs.org/library/downloads/). You put in the number of openings and width and gives height and gph.

KrazyKuch
12-21-2007, 11:00 PM
I use the 1/8" straight bit on high speed and have cut glass up to 1/2" thick

StirCrazy
12-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Do you have the spreadsheet for slotted weir fr reefs.org? It's an Excel spreadsheet in their download section (http://www.reefs.org/library/downloads/). You put in the number of openings and width and gives height and gph.

thats alright, but I am not doing a weir, just going to make a cut out, to much work to make a weir hehe I am actualy thinking of a 8 inch long and 1" down from the top, so acording to there sheet It should be able to flow 2000gph

so for the ball and the 1/8th dermmel bits are you guys just using the high speed steel ones or an abrasive one?

Steve

mark
12-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Used the diamond encrusted bits (just picked up another pack (30 bits) today fr PA for 4.99). Didn't get it but was also looking at a diamond wheel about 1.25" dia, not sure if it's just for cutoffs, grinding or if could be used for grooves.

The spreadsheet is neat that you can put in 1 opening.

StirCrazy
12-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Ok, cool.. I will have to get some junk 1/2" and do some cutting on it to see how it works so I know what I am in store for. what did you do for cooling? I am thinking if just haveing a hose running gently where I am grinding.

Steve

mark
12-22-2007, 02:13 AM
A small stream of water would work and if was warmer outside probably would have done that myself but since was in the basement just made a dam. I used duct seal, it's a putty used to fill holes when running wires and pipe but could use play-dough etc. Just kept cutting the groove a little deeper not going all the way through so wouldn't loose the water until the end. With a continous stream wouldn't matter if cut through and would be able to follow line better (not blocked by cuttings).