PDA

View Full Version : Planting/pruning Mangroves

TANGOMAN
12-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I recently purchased from a Calgary member a beautiful batch of Mangroves. Any experience out there with planting techniques or pruning advice. Ideally, I'd like to plant two or three to a pot. A "pond-type" pot used for marginals with crushed coral for a substrate...? Mobility in a refugium is what I really want. Not into the styrofoam floater concept.

How about pruning these things? Just above a leaf safe? They're nearly to tall already. Any sucess with getting the cuttings to sprout roots? I'd go for the styrofoam floaters then.

Thanks in advance!

Black Phantom
12-21-2007, 04:29 AM
You really don't need any substrate for planting. Just stick them in the water and they will grow. You can use most kinds of substrate though. A metal halide is good but a flourecent will work just fine. You will see in the middle of the leaves a new shoot will be starting to grow. Take a sharp pair of scissors and trim it at the base. This will cause the plant leaves to grow out instead of up.
Mangroves get rid of excess salt through their leaves so take a plant mister with RO water and clean the leaves every couple of days. Or a damp cloth works just as well. Don't let the leaves get dried out from too much salt.
Hope this helps