PDA

View Full Version : What camera should I buy?

ree-fready
02-03-2003, 05:11 AM
All you guys that post great pictures out there, please help me pick a good camera that`ll give me awesome pictures like yours. Maybe some specs. on the ones you use as well. Thanks for your help.

sumpfinfishe
02-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Ree-fready-I personally like Canon's line of digital cameras. They have been around since the wheel, have really nice lenses, easy to learn and use, great reliablity, and best of all-you can buy an optional underwater housing good for 30m(or any size reeftank :D ) for most models.

I use a Powershot S230 which comes with many features which I will list only a few:compact design, full metal body, rechargable lithium battery, full manual and auto settings, 3.2 mgpx, 3 min. video with audio, 3x opt and 3x dig zoom, plus many many more great features! And no, I don't work for Canon-although I wish I did.

My personal advice is to take all features into consideration, choose a brand that's been in the industry for a long time. Another thing to consider is power source, as these units tend to suck back the juice- so if you can get a camera including battery and charger you will be saving at least $50 right from the start. Media is also something to consider, 75% of all digital cameras come loaded with a small memory card or stick so you will have to buy larger memory from the start-unless you can handle only taking around 8-16 images at a time.

My final piece of advice would be to choose a model of a minimum of 3 megapixels, because you never want to to run short of pixels when you want to enlarge a print of your favorite coral or fish :wink:

Hope my 2 cents helps out :wink: happy reefing/shooting
cheers, Rich

AJ_77
02-03-2003, 06:26 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=accddeb8d5b0056e90909b6cce225b2e&threadid=123426

Happy reading, if you can get on their server...

Samw
02-03-2003, 07:20 PM
I like Canon's too. Canon G2/G3 is probably a good choice if going with Canon. Check out http://www.dpreview.com to see which cameras are popular and to see their reviews. Unless you want to carry it around with you everywhere you go, go with the full size cameras with the bigger lenses instead of a compact. You'll get better Macro shots if that's what you need. Get an ultracompact only if keeping it in your shirt pocket is more important.

Personally, I got the Canon Powershot S40 which has the same features as the G2 but in a compact form. However, it is not tiny and still isn't all that comfortable in a pocket. If I were to do it over again, I would get 2 cameras: Canon G2 for taking great quality pictures of my tanks and for going on vacations, and a tiny lower resolution camera like one of the Canon Elf series and keep it in my pocket for the ability to take pictures at any time while on the road.

Pansy-Paws
02-03-2003, 08:32 PM
We're using Canon's PowerShot A20 and like it alot. Does all we need it to do -- only thing is that it is a bit large and heavier than some of the newer models.

jgoldsney
02-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Or if ya want really good pictures you could go with the new Kodak 14N :)
13.9 megapixel digital SLR (I am trying to convince myself that i really need this camera)

Or you could settle for the 6.1 megapixel Kodak DCS 760 digital SLR
(I am cursed with 2 expensive hobbies)

Unfortunately both of them are over $5k

Sorry for the spam I just had to throw in my 2 cents

Joel

Jayson
02-04-2003, 02:07 AM
I have the Cannon S230 with the underwater housing, great camera for under $1000.00 I have had Kodaks in the past. They have spent more time getting repaired than used. They do not like water at all!

EmilyB
02-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Underwater housing.....now that sounds like something I need around here. :lol:

We love our Sony DSC-S70 Digicam, mostly. However, it was very pricey when we bought it a couple years ago - I have seen many super high quality pics from lower priced cams.

Besides, none of us could figure out how to use the settings anyway. Seems to work best on ZERO settings.... :lol:

ree-fready
02-04-2003, 05:09 AM
Thanks for all the tips. It gives me something to go on instead of goin` in blind and @ the salesmens mercy. Thanks again, Darin

Reef_Ready
02-04-2003, 06:42 AM
ree-fready, I just purchased an Olympus C-50Z and I'm very happy with it. It has the same features as the Canon G2, but is about $100 cheaper, considerably smaller and about a 1/3 the weight.