PDA

View Full Version : what equip goes on a GFCI plug

Gools
12-20-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm thinking mostly lights, and any submerged pumps/powerheads in my tank and sump. I don't use heaters. Can anyone else think of things that should be put on these plugs?

I'm doing my electrical work right now and I'll be going out to buy reg plugs and GFCI plugs, and didn't realize how expensive they are, so if not needed all the better. Thanks

Black Phantom
12-20-2007, 03:32 AM
You want to put anything that is within arms distance from your tank on GFCI. They cost a bit more but then so does a funeral these days. :lol:
The secret to GFCI's is that they will protect any plug that is "downstream" from their instalation. That way you can get a lot of protection from only one plug.
How is it you can get away without using a heater?

Myka
12-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Yep, I put EVERYTHING within a 5 ft radius of the tank on a GFCI. I just installed them myself, and I'm a chick (albeit a carpenter lol). ;)

Gools
12-20-2007, 03:58 AM
But if I go away for a night, and say the power goes off, don't you have to manually reset the breaker. So then your pumps and other items on them wouldn't atomaticlly come back on.

marie
12-20-2007, 04:01 AM
But if I go away for a night, and say the power goes off, don't you have to manually reset the breaker. So then your pumps and other items on them wouldn't atomaticlly come back on.

I have never had to reset a breaker after a power outage.

Electric eel
12-20-2007, 04:02 AM
No, GFCI's only need to be reset if they trip. (they usually trip for a reason!) if the power goes off the GFCI will have power when Hydro power returns.

Gools
12-20-2007, 04:05 AM
No, GFCI's only need to be reset if they trip. (they usually trip for a reason!) if the power goes off the GFCI will have power when Hydro power returns.

Thanks for the explanation, I was under the impression they had to be manually reset everytime

mark
12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Never had a false trip but did multiple ccts for the tank each with GFI protection, idea being if one did trip whole tank wouldn't crash (return pump on one, CL which will also aerate on other etc).

findingnemo1
12-20-2007, 05:04 PM
You only need one gfi and run the rest off the load and they all will be protected. Or go with a gfi breaker.

Shipwreck
12-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Really if you don't understand how a GFCI works then I would be hiring an electrician to install it. Improperly installed they are just as dangerous as a regular outlet, and will also void your insurance if the wiring causes a fire.

Everything that goes in or near the tank should be on a GFCI. As well other non tank related plugs with x feet of the tank, or any wet location should also be GFCI protected by code.

Gools
12-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I have my electrian coming in the morning to take a look at what we need. I am going to do the bulk of the work myself with him overseeing. I will be going with all GFCI plugs. Thanks for the input everyone.

mark
12-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I have my electrian coming in the morning to take a look at what we need. I am going to do the bulk of the work myself with him overseeing. I will be going with all GFCI plugs. Thanks for the input everyone.

As stated before going all GFI plugs is redundant and a waste of cash. In addition to where you plug a device in, on the back the GFI receptacle has terminals for source (to breaker) and load. You connect standard $0.99 receptacles to the load side and they in turn are GFI protected.

mseepman
12-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Hey Gools,

who is your electrician? I used to work for a firm in town (on the computer side of their business -- NOT the electrical) and know a little bit about the outfits in town.

Gools
12-21-2007, 01:09 AM
My next door neighbor is J&L handyman in town, so his electrician who he gets for reno's and whatever else. He's coming over in the morning, so I'll find out his name and let you know.